Problem Upgrading to 2.2 Firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Royce Da 5'9", Nov 23, 2008.

1. Royce Da 5'9"

Royce Da 5'9" New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hey guys!

Im really stuck in this bad situation, and I hope some of you guys can help me out. I have tried to update my iPod (2nd Gen) to the new firmware that has just been released (Firmware 2.2). Now while I was updating my iPod using iTunes, this error popped up saying something about an (Error: 1602/1604). So now my iPod is screen is stuck with this USB/iTunes logo. So now I have tried to restore my iPod and while iTunes was restoring it. It gets frozen on the "Processing Ipod Restore" or something like that, and then iTunes gives me another 1604 error. Now I have tried all these different methods including Restarted My PC, Re-Installing iTunes, Disabling my Anti-Virus Programs, etc. and still my iTunes gives me the goddamn error.

If you have any ideas that may help or if you have got in this situation before please feel free to post your advice!

Thank you!
  2. Salamantis

Salamantis New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try putting the iPod in DFU mode.

1. Turn on your iPod (in my case it would only get as far as displaying the Apple logo
    2. Hold the power and home buttons down (the iPod will power off after 10 seconds, but keep holding those buttons down)
    3. After the iPod powers off, release the power button (but keep holding the home button down)
    4. After a couple more seconds, you should hear that magical “ding dong” that means the iPod is coming back alive, and that Windows has detected it. You may even see a little “New hardware” popup in Windows. It is now safe to release the home button, and your iPod is in DFU mode.
    5. Now iTunes will see it as a DFU’ed iPod and should ask you to automatically restore its firmware.
    Taken from here
  3. Royce Da 5'9"

Royce Da 5'9" New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Alrighty, never tried that method yet. But i am doing this as we speak!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Nope it still did not work. Now my iPod is frozen on this white screen and iTunes gave me an error "1601"
    any other suggestions anyone that would help out?
  4. dapalon

dapalon New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I had the same problem you're having. What I did was to restore my IPod using a different computer you're using. It got restored and updated.

Hope it helps!!!
  5. Royce Da 5'9"

Royce Da 5'9" New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I will try that. The only problem is tho, is that I have no other computer lol.

ill find a way. any other suggestions?
  6. JAD

JAD New Member

Do you have the latest itunes? It was updated the day before the firmware. Another thing to maybe try is a delete and reinstall of itunes (or just find the apple usb drivers) in case it's some sort of usb driver screw up. Finally, I know on Apple's web page there is an article about this error and some suggestions what to do about it. My money is on the USB drivers.
  7. Royce Da 5'9"

Royce Da 5'9" New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    yes I have updated my iTunes couple days ago Version 8.0.2. is now what I have. And also yes I have Re-installed iTunes as stated above but still not a go. For the USB driver thing? where can I fix this and how?

already tried the error methods that on are the site, did everything still nothing. except for the "trying another computer" which I only have one computer....and yeah thats about it!
    any other methods b 4 i take a trip to the apple store?!?!?!?!