Problem Restoring BACKUP. iPod 1st Gen

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0' started by drdrum, Jul 7, 2009.

1. drdrum

drdrum New Member

Hi guys,

Yesterday I updated to 3.0, and it is pretty nice compared to 2.2.1 - I wasn't sure if I wanted to update, but it seemed worth it once I got the update...

But then it prompted me to set up the iPod. I did so, bla bla bla. And after I did I went to restore a backup. So I right-clicked (yes, I'm on windows by the way - xp SP2) to choose "Restore a Backup" but the option isn't there! I restarted my computer and such, but no luck. It still hasn't appeared. I was planning on jailbreaking after I restored my backup, so I haven't done that yet.

Just a quick note in case you missed the title of this thread: my iPod is 1st Gen.

So anyway, I ventured to see if my previous iPod backups had been deleted. So I checked my backup folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\drdrum\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Guess what? 7 folders (long numbers, hashes?). So to answer anyone who isn't going to read this thread and put "You're backups got deleted" - don't even post.

I'm willing to try any recommendations. If you have any ideas, or have experienced this, or have any insight at all, please post. I will be jailbreaking later today if I don't get a response, and see where I can go from there (yes, redsn0w - which earlier when I tried to use it, it got stuck at "Waiting for reboot").

Thanks
  2. Mortel

Mortel Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Sorry if I sound completely stupid, but don't you restore from the backup before you set up your iPod? Like, you made it sound like you set it up as a new iPod, and then wanted to restore from a backup.
  3. drdrum

drdrum New Member

You didn't sound stupid one bit, because that is correct. Although let me clarify this:

It doesn't give me the option to do so. I have restored backups all the time since this upgrade the way you mentioned. But this time, it doesn't give the restore backup option, with the drop-down menu for which iPod backup to restore. Hence I am completely lost, have tried restoring the iPod (hoping it would then give me the option to restore a backup), have had no luck with whatever I do, and was hoping that someone could give me any pointers on possible ways to fix it.

I lost all my notes, and not to mention my Fast Notes notes (SBSettings extension), which together are the biggest thing that I need back. And if it is possible, it would be perfectly fine if I could 'extract' the notes out of a backup I have on my computer, but I have no clue as to how to do this, as there are about 20-30 (maybe more? I just glanced) files in EACH backup folder in C:\Documents And Settings\........\Backups (full location in first post).

Thanks