Printing from iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Clod_house, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Clod_house

Clod_house New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What do u think guys? Is it possible to print some documents (like email attachments) with a printer plugged in a computer from my iPoT with some internet address? suggestions?
  2. AlexRADL

AlexRADL Retired Moderator

Maybe if bluetooth was enabled. With out that I don't see a way to do it.
  3. ramey

ramey New Member

I'm pretty sure you would be able to do it over WiFi because you're a client on a network, just a app isn't written yet to detect the printers ip and send it commands to print, so atm, no.
  4. akermar

akermar New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    printing

could you print direct over usb to printer like the mobile phones do using something like picbridge ???
  5. deltaspecops

deltaspecops New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    lol u totally could print from the touch. install vnsea and vnc client on the computer, remote desktop to the file u wanna open and print using the touch haha
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Again, not as easy as you'd like to believe. There's no printing framework in the core services, and none of the supporting services are available. No printer drivers, no connections for printers, etc. It would be a fairly heavy job to port the frameworks especially since Apple owns them and doesn't usually provide the source code... maybe someone from the Darwin project could do a little work, but you'd still need a connection... or maybe someone could at least setup "printer sharing" (e.g., you print from the iPod Touch, but the actual processing, drivers, etc. are handled on the PC side)..
  7. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you're talking about things like notes, I think your best bet would be to SSH onto the ipod, copy it to your computer, then print it from the computer.
  8. akermar

akermar New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    printing

yeah i was thinking of printing notes straight to the printer or if i get an iphone pictures straight to the printer as my current mobile phone (k800) does just connect directly to usb port on printer and print or explore pictures from the printer lcd controls .
    i may try just connecting the ipod touch direct to the printer with usb and see if i can even see it with the printer software hmmm ( when i get home end of december ill keep you informed if anything useful comes of it )
  9. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You can try it, but nothing will happen. As discussed before, there are basically different types of USB chipset - the most common two are devices (e.g., peripherals like keyboards, mice, etc.) and systems (e.g., your computer, hub, etc.). The iPod Touch appears to just be configured as a device - meaning you can't use it to control other USB devices.
  10. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

WHY!?

why in the world would you want to print off the ipod?

It's a portable device! printers arent portable!