Price drop or second generation

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Kosmo, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Kosmo

Kosmo New Member

Has anyone heard anything about a price drop or a second generation touch being released?
  2. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    they just released the FIRST generation... why would they be thinking about the second yet. and i doubt that theres gonna be a price drop on them either.
  3. linds

linds New Member

considering the touch has only been out for like.. a month and a half... no.

no price drop either. not for a long, long time.
  4. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Of course Apple dropped the iPhone price after a few months. The question is reasonable. The answer is probably "eventually". The price for the first generation will probably go down right before they release the second generation.

Speaking of a second generation, the one thing I'd like to see would be the metal case finished like my refrigerator with a fingerprint resistant durable finish.
  5. linds

linds New Member

Except the iPhone price drop was an isolated case. One partial reason being, it was probably dropped so that it can be competitive with the Touch's pricing.

I don't see any price drop anytime soon, save for any flash price decreases, because they don't really have a reason to.
  6. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah you can probably expect a price drop in about a year or a year in a half.
  7. photonut13

photonut13 New Member

Well most likely they already are starting to design the second gen do it will be ready in time, but Apple is amazing at keeping secrets, we wont hear anything for quite some time. As for a price drop Apple doesn't do that all that much, maybe in a bit over a year.
  8. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

That's not really apples to apples, is it? Apple dropped the iPhone price because the sales weren't as strong as they hoped. People will argue this but Apple set a sales projection for a million units. When they dropped the price the same date and number projection was kept in place. In other words, they weren't going to meet their projection. There were iPhones easily available the day after the release and plenty thereafter. Retailers, including Apple, are having problems keeping the touch in stock. I just checked and the Apple store online is on a 10-14 delay. I bought mine from NewEgg and they were sold out by the end of the same day I purchased mine. That was more than a week ago and they're still out.

So, no. There won't be any significant price changes or new model any time soon.
  9. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Touches are available in several places in my town. Iphone's aren't sold here because no AT&T cell service in my city. I'm the only one I've met with a touch.
  10. 02 turbo

02 turbo New Member

I don't know when it will happen, but Apple will most likely discontinue the 8gb and sell the 16gb for $300. I highly doubt this will happen before they release the SDK though. Could be in January, could be next summer, maybe never.

Additionally, cases haven't even come out yet so don't hold your breath.