Preparing for ipt 3g jailbreak? Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carya, Apr 13, 2010.

1. carya

carya New Member

I have a 3g running 3.1.2. I recently read this article about preparing for the unteathered jailbreak here. It tells you to start backing up the SHSH and ECID files. Can I start doing this for 3.1.2 (does Apple still sign this firmware?) or do I need to upgrade to 3.1.3? Or is a newer firmware out now? Please help, I'm confused. I have no jailbreak at all right now, but I want to be ready with all the backup files for downgrading when it comes out.

Thanks for your help. This is very confusing for noobs.
  2. BigD

BigD New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you have it is running 3.1.2 you can jailbreak using blackra1n or reds0w. It is tethered at this point meaning you will have to plug your ipod into the computer to reboot. As far as backing up the ECID files if you are going to jailbreak you can do that afterward. if you are not then there are programs that will help you like this one

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282684
  3. carya

carya New Member

I will probably pass on the tethered jailbreak, but I guess I'd like to keep it as an option, just in case. From what I've been reading, ever restoring to 3.1.2 is no longer an option for me since I have no shsh backups and apple only signs 3.1.3 going forward?. So should I run (umbrella?) to backup shsh for 3.1.3 at this time? And do I first need to actually upgrade my ipt firmware to 3.1.3 first? (This would eliminate the tethered jb). I hope this makes sense, I'm new to this.
    -Thanks
  4. Fieryfear

Fieryfear New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    you don't need to upgrade to 3.1.3 but yeah saving 3.1.3 SHSH is smart.
  5. yiday

yiday New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You don't need to backup anything ,because that was 2gen to do.
  6. sk8skanj

sk8skanj New Member

Jailbreak it, use the "make my life easier" option in cydia, upgrade to 3.1.3, back up your shsh, wait for untethered or downgrade to 3.1.2 for tethered right now.
  7. carya

carya New Member

If people on a 3g IPT do not get their ECID and backup the SHSH blobs now, they will lose the ability to ever downgrade to it to 3.1.3 in the future- as soon as apple releases a new (potentially unjailbroken) firmware, they will stop signing 3.1.3 and you will need those SHSH hashes saved to get back to 3.1.3.

Apple currently doesn't sign 3.1.2 anymore, so anyone on a 3g ipt who restores to 3.1.3 and doesn't have the 3.1.2 hashes saved CANNOT go back to 3.1.2.