PowerVR SGX (full specs) vs. Nvidia Tegra

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iPhondTouch3G, Nov 21, 2009.

1. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    the PowerVR SGX 535 in the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 3G can push up to 28 million trianlgles per second. This is almost as much as a PlayStation 2. Unlike the iPhone 3G, which had 24 mb of dedicated video ram, the new SGX can allocate any amount of the system's 256 mb for video performance. The 535 can reach core speeds of up to 400 MHz, but this is probably underclocked in the iDevices. The PSP is capable of around 30 mil./ triangles per second, though most games for the platform run at 4-5 million trianlgles per second. In fact this spec of the PSP may be a false marketing technique by SONY, since a test showed that the device ran at 5-10 fps at 20 mil. per second. A demo applet in a video showed that a 3GS runs at a stable 40 fps while pushing up to 15 million triangles. The graphical improvement possible opens new doors to the graphics capabilities of portable gaming. The capabilities of this dwarf the crappy Intel 945GM integrated graphics in my 800 dollar laptop from 2 years ago. The chip also includes vertex shaders, texture features, and pixel shader 4.1 as well as OpenGL 2.0 AND DirectX 10.1

On the other hand, the Tegra consists of an all-in-one chipset: The CPU, GPU, and memory in one chip. All though this is efficient for power usage, this may not deliver the maximum perofrmance. It also has openGL 2.0 support and 1080p support, but only supports the old ARM11 CPU found in old devices. please tell me any other info.
  2. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    please tell me that at least one person wanted to know this!
  3. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Why bump your thread just to see if someone was intrested in it? This is against regulation of the iPtF community.
  4. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I didn't know that? Sorry
  5. jniranjan

jniranjan Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i found it slightly interesting, but you could have explained the jargon(like triangles)
  6. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

triangles (AKA polys) arent jargon, that what everything in every video game is made of
  7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

If someone isn't knowledgeable on this subject, it's jargon.
  8. dong1225

dong1225 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It was a good read, do you have an source of the information you got here?
    Not that I doubt the integrity bit just wanted to read on those tech specs myself
    And I understand your fruatration with people not reading.
    I've written a review which didn't take me terrible effort to write but still, it's disappointing when you don't get any appreciation.
  9. iPhondTouch3G

iPhondTouch3G Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thank you.

Umm... well... this did take quite a bit of research. culdn't find much on the tegra though. Simple google searches on " 3GS Graphics " will give you at least 5 sites on the first page saying that: It was previously thought that the new iPhone 3GS runs a PowerVR SGX 520 ( worse than Palm Pre ), which can push 7 million triangles per second, but the discovery of a new driver ( dont remember the name ) shows that it is actually running a SGX 535, which can push 28 mil. polys per second ( better than palm pre ).

then i did a bit of research on the psp and ps2 capabilities, and to my surprise, the new iphone 3gs, ipt3 GPU is really good. Too bad there arent too many games for this...
  10. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    It's ok if you didn't know, you should read the rules so you can prevent tiny mistakes like this though.

Please Register or Log in to view images