PowerPC - is it possible to upload your apps to the app store?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by bamhm182, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey, I saw the thread [Tutorial] How to use SDK on a PowerPC(PPC) Mac OS X 1.5, but it won't open for me, so I decided to make a new thread. Sorry if this is the wrong place. Also, I've seen this http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1455699&tstart=0, and a few people have said they've been able to submit their app to iTunesConnect, but someone said that their app/game didn't make it and apple gave no reason why, so I want to make sure.

I've been looking for a cheap Mac, I found a G4 that would be able to run the iPhone SDK no problem for $250, but before I go selling my Zune, I want to know for 150% that someone has developed, submitted, and gotten their game/app approved on a G4/5. Would someone please give me conformation if this is possible or not.

And I've got 1 more question, if I were to buy the license, would I be able to use it on multiple computers, or would it be tied to 1 computer? I'd be fine if it were tied to my account, and I'd be ok with it if it were tied to 1 computer, but I want to know.

Also, sorry if I don't make 100% sense, I'm insanely tired and sick, if you need anything clarified, please ask.

EDIT: I just read the rules, I posted a link to the official Apple forum above. If this is violating the rules, please remove it, but I was just posting it to show people who are looking at this thread that people have submitted their apps for reviewing through a G4/5.
  2. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
  3. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I've also seen that, and signed up for it, unless there's something I'm missing, all it says is that it just supports Intel based Macs, which doesn't really answer my question, since people have claimed to submit their apps using a G4/5.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The SDK won't run on anything other than Intel machines. It won't run on a PPC because it's a different Architecture. I'm not sure what architecture the G4/5 is but I think my friend has one, and his is really slow and doesn't run the SDK. It also gets the beach ball a lot. If I were you I would go out and buy a new Mac Mini, they're Intel based, so the SDK will work. I myself use a MacBook 4,1. Which is just what I need.
  5. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hmn, are you certain that the SDK won't work with PPCs? I've heard that they work just fine, I'm just not sure that you can upload them to the app store.

Also, I'm broke, well, compared to how much cash most people have when shopping for a mac anyways, I've got about $275 or so that I can spend on a Mac. I also don't really want to break the bank on this because Developing is going to be the only thing I'd use it for. I've got a nice PC that I know like the back of my hand for everything else.
  6. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm telling you it WONT run on PPC because it's a different architecture. Just like many applications don't run on PPC because of the architecture. As for uploading all your doing is uploading to a server, you could upload them on Windows it wouldn't make a difference. If you want the SDK I would save up, seeing as you don't have much for mac shopping.
  7. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright, I'll take your word for it, it sounds like you know what you're talking about... Just 1 thing though, if it's impossible, why can you google iPhone SDK on PPC and find a lot of people claiming to have it working on their PPCs? They couldn't all be lying.

Also, do you know the answer to my other question? Can you buy 1 license and have it on multiple computers?
  8. Chicken

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I'm not sure about the licenses. But the PPC I don't know they might of hacked their machines. I'm not sure to tell you the truth. You should wait till Skylar see's this thread he'll be able to tell you everything you need.
  9. bamhm182

bamhm182 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Alright, sounds good, I'll wait for his reply to find out for sure.