Powerbook G4, AirPort not detected, and other minor problems

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Ryuukumori, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I'm helping a friend fix his laptop, and I just need to fix a few things.

1. The AirPort card is not detected. This means I might have to open up the base of the laptop and try remounting it. Has anyone done this, and are there any good video tutorials on fixing the AirPort card? I tried youtube with no luck.

2. Minor problems here. I noticed the backlit keys aren't illuminating, even though I enable it in system preferences and try toggling with the key brightness setting on the keyboard.

3. Internet also seems to run a bit sluggish. I use a PC on the same router and it works well, same with another PC desktop upstairs on WiFi. I tried clearing all cache, cookies, etc., and currently running utility disk to repair disk permissions. Any other performance tweaks I could do to improve internet speed?

Thanks a bunch. I posted this on MacRumors too, but not very much feedback there...
  2. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Taking out the Airport card is very easy. Just take the bottom off by removing the torxscrews and you will see it.
  3. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Hm okay. I'll try this in a half hour when the laptop is completely cooled down.

Will it be labeled? I am willing to remove and reconnect it.

I will update you all on the PC the results. Any ideas on the minor issues?
  4. freshnewton7

freshnewton7 New Member

all you have to do is remount the airport card..
    steps-

*turn computer off
    *take battery out
    *open the laptop up and hold the power button for 1 seconds
    *no remove the air port card
    *then remount it (*note* when mounting it push very very hard.. you might not have all the pins lined up so the harder the better.. a good way to know how hard you need to push is if you have indentations on your fingers after its in.
    *replace battery / and restart
    (yes it will be labeled, should say 'AIRPORT EXTREME CARD' on the actual card

for the slow internet i suggest restoring fresh.. to leopard.

freshhh
  5. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

I've got lepoard on it already. But a good restore does sound like a winner.

Now for some reason I am trying to open up the back, I don't think I have the smallest sized phillips screwdriver for it. It seems small, but I think I need smaller. Mind if someone could find a picture of what size phillips I need?

EDIT: I saw a picture, looks freakishly small. I don't even think I own one that small. Any alternatives, or do I need to buy one?
  6. freshnewton7

freshnewton7 New Member

ok yea your going to have to take that back off..
    um not sure what size you will need but ino its really really small..

freshhh
  7. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yes you do have to open it up. It's not a big deal. I have done it quite a few times.
  8. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Okay guys. I'll have to wait for a friend to come home from work at 3 PM (Here PDT) to see if he has the correct size phillips.

I think I can try to post back on the backlit keys issue if it isn't fixed in the restore. I would have to get the restore disc from my friend on Monday. So it seems I have to wait one way or another. I'll update you all soon.
  9. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Alright everyone, quick update.

I got a working screwdriver, but for some reason I don't know how to physically open the back up and view the AirPort card.

Can someone point out a guide and/or video on how to open it up? And I mean a REALLY descriptive one. I have already looked at Apple Documents and they suck, a really fast bad quality youtube video, and one guide that seems good, but is really bad at describing.

I need a guide on how to open it up safely.

And has anyone proved remounting the AirPort card will really make it recognize? I know for a fact it used to work, then it suddenly stopped recognizing it.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Mods can move my 2nd thread to this one. I am only posting a second thread because it doesn't seem anyone is answering or giving feedback to my latest problem.