Power Supply Issues

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by eric_chaos, Jun 29, 2009.

1. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Recently, my computer has been taking a while to power on. I'd turn it on, the lights come on, but the mobo didn't make the usual "beep" it makes when it turns on. After about 5 minutes, it would beep and come on.

On sunday, when I turned it on, the fan on the PSU was making a really weird noise. Like, it was rubbing against something inside it. So I did some research and found out that it isn't too major and a light tap on it should do the trick. When I did that, my whole computer turned off.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I turned it back on and it the fan was even LOUDER. So I turned it off, and unplugged it from the power strip. Plugged it back in, and it seemed to be working fine. After a few minutes, the noise came back. I did some more research and found out some people had luck by tightening the screws securing the PSU to the case. So I turned off my computer, and tried tightening the screws. 2 of them were stripped, so I put in new ones. Everything was as tight as it would get. I plugged everything back in, and it wouldn't turn on. The lights on the case would turn on, but nothing on screen came up and my mobo didn't do the "beep". So I tried smacking the PSU, turned it on, and the mobo beeped, but nothing would show up on screen. Eventually, I unplugged the VGA cable from my video card, and plugging it right into the mobo. WTF. It worked. plugged it into my video card, nothing. The fan on my video card was spinning, but it wouldn't display anything.

I figured it was just a dead power supply (it was a cheap one that came with the case) and couldn't fully power the video card or something.

Is this something that buying a new PSU will fix? Or is the problem with the video card? I never had any problems with the video card before.
  2. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Well it sounds like a power supply is trying to go out.......i think you need a bigger one........how many optical drives do you have? and do you have any internal backup drives?
  3. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yea, probably just a bad PSU...Or you can try re-seating the ram, usually that works for me! But to be on the safe side in the future i would say get a new PSU.
  4. eric_chaos

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I have 1 optical drive and 1 internal SATA HDD.

This PSU is 450w. I ordered one off tigerdirect that was 550w, hoping it will correct the problem. Its coming thursday, so I'll report back then. I just hope I dont have to buy a new video card...
  5. Led

Led Banned

What i'm thinking is that your psu is being pushed to the limit and is dying. When you moved the vga connector to the motherboard the graphics card didn't power up fully (if that's possible) and left more power for the motherboard which is why it worked, maybe?
  6. eric_chaos

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thats what i was thinking
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Turns out, it wasn't the PSU. I took out the video card, and put it back in, and everything worked. Oh well. I have a new PSU now.