Power drain while idle

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by galaxian, Jan 20, 2008.

1. galaxian

galaxian New Member

Has anyone else had a problem where the Touch sucks the battery down even though it's supposed to be sleeping? I've turned it on after a couple of hours to see the charge half gone even though I haven't done much that morning. This morning, when I woke up my Mac, the Touch also woke up since it's connected to a USB hub. But it said the battery was down to 10%, and I know it was fully charged when I put the computer to sleep last night. I know the hub doesn't supply power when the Mac is sleeping, but the Touch shouldn't have been doing anything. Anyone know what causes this and how to avoid it? It's a pain having to worry about whether I'll be able to take the Touch with me in the morning or whether it'll last the whole day. Not to mention shortening the life of the battery so it'll have to be replaced sooner.
  2. Manic Nimrod

Manic Nimrod Well-Known Member

was the wifi left on overnight?
  3. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Bingo.
    Unplug the touch if the USB port is not powered. As it says right in the manual, plugging in the USB cable when the USB port is not powered will drain the touch. Sounds like a bug to me, but since its documented, it's a feature

Please Register or Log in to view images

Recap - wifi off, ssh off (if you jailbroke) and usb unplugged => microscopic standby drain.
  4. galaxian

galaxian New Member

Funny thing is I leave it plugged in all nights with Wifi on. Except for this morning, I've always been able to pick it up before leaving, fully charged and ready to go. It also doesn't explain what ate half the charge one morning at work when it sat in my pocket. It's as if the processor was active doing something, but I don't know what.
  5. Major25

Major25 New Member

that's happened to me before occasionally too. it happened to me for a week straight at one point, i had to restore my ipod and then re-jailbreak it. i haven't had it happen to me since though (about 4 or 5 months) until today, i just tried turning it on (after charging it from half to full yesterday) and it was down to 10%. i also think that there's something going on while it's asleep thats not supposed to be, but i haven't been able to figure out what that is yet