iOS 4.0 Potential breakages from jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by sanga282, Aug 3, 2010.

1. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok, as my phone is very dear to me and although didnt cost me a lot i really don't want to f*** it up, i've jailbroken a plethora of other devices before and have always known the risk at the time, and what may or may not happen and that it was always recoverable. Now with the iPhone 4 im not sure, i mean on engadget for example they said they managed to brick one of their phones, is that bricked beyond repair? or can it be recovered, if it doesnt get past the boot screen can you still put it in DFU mode and then restore to a previous iPhone setup?
  2. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yes, it can always be put into DFU and restored. Jailbreaking the iPhone 4 will be the best decision youve ever made

Please Register or Log in to view images

I promise
  3. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I left a comment on Engadget actually the day the jailbreak article came out. I stated that they need to stop spreading false information about brickage on the iDevices.

Every iDevice has a hardware chip in it that performs something called DFU (Device firmware upgrade) that when activated, allows the user to directly restore to stock firmware.

You can go in and delete everything on your device, essentially causing a "brick", but DFU being hardware and not software based, as soon as you activate and restore you are back in business.
  4. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    awesome things, once Im done re-attaching the heatsink to my i7 and bolstering the overclock i'll get to it

5. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    OFT:got a 860 you?

ONT:There is one thing that allegedly damages your device which is VM
  6. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    VM? the only thing i can relate that to is virtual machine lol
    and nah its a 920, i've had it for ages but my heatsink's pins cracked so i dropped my overclock from 3.4Ghz to 3 and now i've got the new pins im re-attaching it and upping the clock speed again
  7. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    ONT:VM in this context means Virtual Memory even though it's not really RAM but it's a long story and there is thousands of threads on this issue.

OFT:Why on earth do you need to over-clock a 920 when we have turbo-charge? And I use liquid cooling:

no need to worry about the heat-sink and fan falling and destroying my 5850.
  8. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'd never bother with virtual memory anyway its a bit pointless

and the 920 had a max clock speed of 2.66Ghz, thats just not enough by anyones stretch of the imagination

and eugh closed system liquid cooling, custom kits all the way

Im running an akasa ak-967 nero, i like the way the H50 has a screw mount system though but that would involve me removing my motherboard, more hassle than its worth, and your 5850? the H50 wont cool a graphics card afaik

9. badboy.mjk

badboy.mjk New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    no i meant with liquid i dont need to worry about a huge heatsink potential screwing everything underneath it if it falls. and it doesnt matter that much about the clock as like i said turbo charge will kick in an turn up heat.and hyperthreading gives us essitianaly 8cores anyways g2g on my ipod in bed
  10. sanga282

sanga282 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah im not sure the original 920's had turbo charge, and i frequently max out all 8 logical cores at 3Ghz and have done at 3.4Ghz, im thinking if i ge ta new case i might try and hit 4Ghz on air, which should be ok for operating temps of 40-50C idle
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Double Post: its done and it works a treat, i've yet to reboot it to see if it'll be affected by these green pixels or if it'll fail on boot shall see