Potential Battery issue. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by wat., Dec 6, 2009.

1. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    So, last night I used my MacBook off the charger (not unusual, I commonly charge it during the day, then use it on the battery in the evening/at night.)

It ended up down to about 23% battery life.

I shut it down normally, with no issues or anything, and went to bed. This morning, I simply plugged it in to charge. I didn't turn it on or anything, just plugged it in.

I went and got coffee and did some stuff, then came back to do some coding and check my mail. The light on the magsafe charger was green, and I thought that was odd, as it had only been plugged in for about an hour and a half.

I turned it on, and the battery icon was showing that it was plugged in, but not charging. I restarted it, and it began charging normally. However, it's reading something like 9 hours until full, and 27%. Is that normal, or should I be worried? I've never checked the time remaining, so I don't know if 9 hours is normal, or if the counter is simply wrong. Usually it's charged while off, or in sleep mode and only takes a couple hours.

The MacBook was bought as a refurb from Apple about 3 months ago.
  2. taptaptouch

taptaptouch Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hmm sometimes my reader on my acer screws up and tells me i have something outrageous like 53 hours left
  3. wat.

wat. New Member

Device:
    iPad
    The only thing I can guess is that it was because the battery was cold. Outside it's *maybe* 0 degrees fahrenheit right now, less with windchill, so inside, despite the heat cranking, it's only about 50. My room may be even colder. I know the Apple guides recommend 60+ degrees for operating condition, so I'm guessing that was my issue.

This morning when the charging issue happened, the temp outside was 2, and the heat wasn't blasting just yet, so it was really cold inside. I think that was the major cause.
  4. owner_bsp

owner_bsp Banned

Potential Battery issue Should I be wor

tripundra

No, I dont think thats normal. It should have some basic settings in there, but a lot of stuff has been moved to the new fdi system. Are you sure you typed in the correct path? Did you make sure to use sudo?