Possibly way to backup ipod before attempting a hack??

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.x Jailbreak' started by ecbtln, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ecbtln

ecbtln New Member

i was looking into the first command that you are told to when jailbreaking your ipod touch in iphuc
    Code:
    getfile /dev/rdisk0s1 iphonefs/rdisk0s1 314572800
    is that just in theory copying everything from ur ipod to a disk image?
    it seems like a lot of people are having to restore their ipods so it seems possible that someone could almost backup their ipod using this in iphuc and if they have to restore then they do so and then execute the next command,
    Code:
    putfile iphonefs/rdisk0s1.dmg /dev/rdisk0s1
    after reloading the tiff image quickly
    am i completely wrong or could this actually work to "backup" all the custom apps youve worked so hard for.
    i have a good feeling that im wrong but i just thought it was worth bringing up
  2. mistapony

mistapony New Member

I believe u are correct. I actually screwed up my jailbreak and remembered I had that image file still on my mac, so I copied it back over and whale it was back the way I wanted it. Pretty good way to back up actually
  3. USAngel

USAngel New Member

I am searching for a method to backup all that stuff... I dont want to do it ever and ever again....

Would be really cool!
  4. happyman696

happyman696 New Member

So I tried a couple different things.

1. Backed up a hacked rdisk0s1
    2. Restored the ipod to factory via itunes.
    3. I made a back up of the orginal rdisk0s1(for the future)
    4. Succesfully put the hacked rdisk0s1 back onto the ipod.
    The apps work but are a little f***ed. Installer doesnt show any apps installed. So you cant uninstall via installer if you wish at a later time.
    5. I then succesfully put the orginal rdisk0s1 back onto the ipod
    But the ipod isnt recognized by itunes anymore.

So Backing up hacked rdisk0s1 is nice. But in the long run it is better just to start over.

Hope this helps. If anything is unclear please let me know and i'll fix it. Thanks
  5. ecbtln

ecbtln New Member

got it, thanks for trying it out
  6. papango

papango New Member

i'm unable to restore the rdisk0s1 to it's original location from my backup using sftp or ssh with ncftp !
    - why does the original file on my ipot seems to be 0 bytes but when i download it it gets a 300MB file ?
    - i deleted the original one and tried to upload the backup but it said unsufficient disk space !
  7. Thorongil CVI

Thorongil CVI New Member

Not sure that this is 1.1.2 firmware specific, but when I try the download/restore (or anything in fact) using iPHUC, it thinks that "/var/root/Media/" is "/". I never had this problem in 1.1.1. Anyone have a similar problem?