Possibly bricked 2g trying to tether JB (mac, tether)

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Another1, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Another1

Another1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was trying to use the instructions here http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137683 to jailbreak 2.2.1 tethered on my mac.

However, instead of sticking strictly to the source files mentioned I tried to 'shortcut' and in hindsight may not have validated the ipsw files that I was using. I have tried to JB so many times over the past week that I guess I didn't worry thinking I could just restore to a different firmware if there were issues.

Also, this time I tried to install OpenSSH and Cydia repositories as part of the firmware.

All of the initial rslite commands worked fine and option restore to the custom ipsw appeared to be proceeding fine. I was not watching my ipod every second so I can't state exactly how the process ended....

But now, I am unable to boot or get my ipod into DFU. rslite reports mobile device not found n DFU or Recovery. I have tried holding down the power switch for a fairly long time, tethered and untethered.

I'm concerned that I may have created some sort of improper firmware that may have managed to brick my ipt2g. Is there a way to get an ipt2g with possibly mangled FW back to DFU? Could it really be bricked?

I literally swapped it out at an Apple Store yesterday because my original ipt2g had issues with the power button not working correctly so I was thinking of going back and just telling them I had a problem restoring my ipod settings and improperly aborted restore or something like that, but I'm afraid this won't work.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I am not suggesting there are any errors in any tutorials on this forum. I tried to apply multiple file sources and changes at the same time and that has caused this dilemma...
  2. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

I doubt it's bricked.
    there's like 9837455638292929273746465437282827364647282282 people on this forum that think that their ipod is bricked.
    I'm not sure what to tell you but I'm sure someone will come up with an answer.
    Seriously bricking your ipod is close to impossible.
  3. ParrotBoy

ParrotBoy Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ITS
    NOT
    BRICKED!
    Keep trying DFU mode, unplug/replug, try on different pc...
  4. Another1

Another1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hope you are right. The problem is that I am unable to get itunes or rslite to recognize the ipod and it is not responding visually when I press buttons, so from all appearances it seems as if it is just ignoring all of the ways I know to turn it on, get it into dfu or recovery mode...

FYI I originally tried to use Jaikob's Red Jolt GUI tool for semi-tethered JB. Every time I tried to use that, the end result was an ipod with a firmware that showed a cydia app but always rebooted into normal mode.

I have read many of the forum posts and tutorials in preparation for my JB so I am frustrated that I must resort to asking for help, but nonetheless I hope a kind soul or two will assist.
  5. justan

justan New Member

Umm...thats kind of what a semi-tethered is supposed to do...
  6. Another1

Another1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ParrotBoy, are you saying even if I see no indication power is on it is possible to get to DFU mode? Even if I somehow managed to mangle the firmware DFU should still be active?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Oh, let me clarify, it would reboot to normal mode even when using DFU plus 1 or 4 step boot to get into JB mode. I realize it will boot into normal mode if not tethered and applying the exploit. Step three would do a semi-boot - and then a full reboot...to normal mode, not recovery
  7. justan

justan New Member

ahh I see. Well I dont know what to say lol. Sorry
  8. fastfreddy101

fastfreddy101 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you are not doing DFU mode properly try finding a DFU helper then try booting when you are 100% sure its in DFU
  9. Another1

Another1 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I switched my ipod over to a PC and using the Voltage booter and DFU assist (and many tries at invoking DFU) I was successful and able to boot. Apparently I didn't have enough faith that my firmware was correct.

I do apologize for littering the forum with another 'it is bricked' forum but I sincerely thought I had explored the issue extensively.
  10. 하리마오

하리마오 New Member

my ipod goes in duf mode by press both power and home for 6 secons and home for about 10 seconds. I did try 10 second for both power and home It didn't work for me

keep try until it works.