Possible to turn off EDGE/3g? In new Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raEEv3, Jul 15, 2008.

1. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I'm planning to get it off craigslist or ebay or something (the new iPhone) Cause I do not want to pay for contract. But I do not want to be charged for using data ... simply because I do not have a data plan, txt msging, voicemail or caller ID. Can you turn off 3g? Or edge? So you can just use wi-fi? Because I do not want to be charged on the new iPhone
  2. Noons

Noons New Member

Yes, but it's not as simple as flicking a switch on and off. Call your provider and ask them to turn off all your internet services on your mobile phone, this should solve the problem. I did it the day I bought my iPhone 3G, and Rogers was more than willing to do it for me. Best of luck.
  3. illucius

illucius New Member

What happens now when you do thinks like check whether? I also asked Rogers to turn it off this morning, and the rep said it would take effect immediately, but I still am able to go on the internet when I am out. The little E on the top left is still there and the loading animation still flashes. Do I just need to wait longer?
  4. Noons

Noons New Member

If the E is still there, so is your internet. Mine was turned off "immediately" aswell, and the E did not disappear until the next morning. If the E does not go away after a day or two, I recommend you call back and see what's up. Once you terminate your internet, you will not be able to use apps such as weather, maps (gps), and safari inless you are connect to a Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi hotspot. This however is free and you will not be charged with using data.
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay no offense but seriously there will not be a 3g iphone on any website that doesnt require a new contract. apple made the activation process is hard and even if you do find one, phones that require a new contract are discounted, so without a contract youre looking at >500
  6. raEEv3

raEEv3 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)

Okay.. that doesn't really make sense to me.. honestly. You own a 3g
    I own the first version. The previous owner of my iPhone said he was not charged with roaming data bills. It was unlocked for his phone. He said, "EDGE" logo, has ALWAYS been there when wi-fi is not connected. But you cannot connect to it (like the situation I have now) because he does NOT have the password and username and the VPN or APN or whatever to connect to EDGE properly. When im not connected to wi-fi and has the EDGE logo.. I clicked apps such as safari or weather, and it says "Not connected to EDGE" and sometimes it even pops up neariest wi-fi signals. Previous owner said.. EDGE always will stay there. But it's not really connected.
  7. Noons

Noons New Member

In your first post you were asking about the new iPhone 3G, and that's exactly what I told you about. If your internet is disconnected than weeeeeeeee.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Im not sure what you're asking.
  8. Zee

Zee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Still don't understand why people would want to turn off all internet services on their phone. Wifi spots aren't easy to come by unless you're in school I suppose. Also if you're on the move like a bus or train or whatever, you won't be able to hold a wifi connection, so having the internet over 3G makes sense here. As long as you monitor how much data you're using you shouldn't have issues going over your limit.
  9. illucius

illucius New Member

Hey Noons, thanks for the help. Apparently, Rogers has 3 different data blockers and at the first time I called, they only turned off one of them. I called again, got them to turn off all 3 and immediately, the "E" dissappeared.

And Zee, the main reason why I want to turn off all internet services is because of my personal situation right now. I have personal WiFi at home and there is WiFi at school and work for me. The plans Rogers have are too much for the usage I would get out of them. I'm sure there are many people who do take advantage of the data plans, but at this current moment in time, they do not suit my needs very well. The main reason why I wanted an iPhone anyways is because of the iPod's music and video playing.
  10. Noons

Noons New Member

That's awesome man. I'm in the same boat, I don't need 3G internet. I'm surrounded by wifi and I am very happy. Plans should fit your needs.