Possible to get pre loaded maps?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by GreeKNastY, Nov 26, 2007.

1. GreeKNastY

GreeKNastY New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    for the maps app?...in case we are in need and dont have the wifi avaible?
  2. wadded

wadded Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    well if u go over a place it saves it as a place so...
  3. shotgunfool

shotgunfool Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    not a chance if your talking about being able to sill use maps without a wifi signal

the app would be about 1 terrabite in space
  4. ywc19

ywc19 New Member

not ideal, localized maps without wifi

I've bookmarked about 15 locations (parks, bridges, friends addresses, landmarks) in Manhattan and can now get a full pretty detailed map of Manhattan (zoomable) without any wifi connection. Tested, confirmed & seamless. Maps will link all your bookmarks without all those red pins appearing on your map. You can probably get by with fewer bookmarks - without wifi, each bookmark saves a map of perhaps a half-mile radius.

I know this is hardly an ideal solution, since you want to have saved detailed maps without having to save lots of bookmarks, all w/o needing a wifi connection. But it takes very little space and is useful for places you often visit.

What I wonder is - if someone else did the same for, say, Jersey City and Philadelphia, is it possible to merge our Maps files together? Unless there's something I don't know, it shouldn't be that big a file since my NYC Maps file is about 276 kb (not mb).
  5. RadioNails

RadioNails New Member

This gave me a great idea. I did some work regarding that a while ago and I came up with a solution (partial). I will post tonight when I come back from work with my plan.
  6. wonderroom

wonderroom New Member

Maps

Awesome. Yeah post your idea. I would love to hear it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Alexpb

Alexpb New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Has anyone heard of the program GMID? Google Maps Image Downloader? It works pretty well. You input the zoom level you want, the coordinates in google maps, and it rips them out of google maps into little square tiles and than you just use the combine option and it will turn it into one big bmp file that looks flawless. I'm sure you could use this to rip a giant map of your preferred zoom level, and than save it onto the touch for later offline viewing
  8. RadioNails

RadioNails New Member

About GIMD, yeah, it does look pretty good, unfortunately it's not free.

My idea:

So I made a while ago scripts in python to backup and restore the DB that maps.app uses. Without getting into the details, it's a DB format we can easily manipulate.

1 - I will create a better script that will do the following: take the name of a bookmark you have in maps.app and a radius, it will then extract the maps with the radius around the bookmark from your DB. It will also accept the same file type as outputted previously and import it in your current maps.app DB as well as the bookmark.

2- I will create (or if anyone else wants to volunteer to help) a simple website where you can upload those files. So for example, if you mapped NewYork, you can upload it on that website for everyone to download. That way if you are interested into getting a map for a new area you don't have, you can simply go download it, run my utility and it will be imported into maps.app

This is by no means a perfect solution, I think only Google could produce a perfect solution, but it looks like it's not in their near-future plans.

Anyway, I will start working on that script. It might be nice if someone has experience making an executable for iphone/itouch could help, it would be a better interface than a command line script.

Any input?
  9. ywc19

ywc19 New Member

Wow, this sounds like a new fantastic non-web based app! I've almost completely bookmarked NYC (very detailed) and some bordering NJ cities. I'll finish it by this weekend. Too bad I have no experience or tech knowledge about executables for the iphone/itouch, but I hope you get help soon on this. Obviously I'll upload NYC when your website & utility is complete.
  10. dizzystreet

dizzystreet New Member

hi, this idea sounds great but i was wondering if there was a application that only involved text not the actual picture of the map. Wouldn't it be nice if the ipod touch had google earth on it.