Possible to buy an iPhone without activating it and signing a plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JohnFa, Aug 24, 2008.

1. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

I live in Sweden and was wondering if it's possible to buy an iPhone in the states without activating it. How much would it cost?
    I was planning on trying to get a friend to buy one and send it here. Was thinking of using it as an iPod until it's unlockable. Was gonna sell my 16gb Touch is so.
  2. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    only for the old iphone, and you should look on ebay, you could get one for maybe 250
  3. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Not for the 3G? My contract is soon up with my phone company and I will sign a new plan with them. However, they're not selling the iPhone. There's only one company in Sweden who's selling the iPhone as of now and I don't want to change to them.
    Thought I'd buy a 3G and sign a new plan when it's unlockable.
  4. chrisburke

chrisburke New Member

cant buy 3g iPhone.. aparently because there has to be a buy price they are like $3000 to buy.. but you cant actually buy them.. because apple doesnt want people unlocking them
  5. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

How about all the iPhones being sold on eBay? Where did those people get them from?
    Reason I'm asking is because I'm willing to spend $400 on an iPhone knowing that I don't have to commit to a plan (I might be leaving the country in a year). Would rather own the phone and have a three month plan at a time, or something like that.

There's a plan I've been looking at that, if I just had the phone, has me paying only 2/3 of the money each month, compared to what the phone company in Sweden that has the sole right to sell iPhones, charge each month, and I don't have to commit to a 2 year plan.
  6. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    ATT said they were gonna sell a no commit iPhone 3G for $599/$699 at a later time.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

Guess those will be selling for about $1000 on eBay

Please Register or Log in to view images

Apparently, here in Sweden, the equivalent to AT&T (called Telia) only has a monopoly on iPhones for three months. This might be the case in the states too. In that case, come November, other companies might start selling the iPhone with no-commitment plans as well.

It's kinda weird by Apple to just have one company in each country selling the iPhone. That means they are missing out on a huge market, which I suppose they don't want to do. It might just be something they did to test the market and checking responses before expanding their production line (which it seem they are doing at the moment, since they've put alot more iPhones up for production).
  8. MrCrawley

MrCrawley New Member

in Chile (latin america) the iPhone is with America Movil and Movistar, Wich are like having Phone in AT&T and T-Mobile lol
  9. JohnFa

JohnFa New Member

But is it possible to get an uncontracted phone from the Apple Store or At&T?
  10. chadi

chadi Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)

Yeah, there will.