Possible iPod touch Price Drop

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by spoonforknife, Feb 9, 2008.

1. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/09/100-price-drop-on-iphone-and-ipod-touch/
    9to5Mac believes that the iPhone and iPod touch will be seeing $100 price drops in the next two months, simultaneously discontinuing the low capacity models.

Their belief is that the 8GB Touch and 8GB iPhone will be discontinued, leaving a 16GB iPhone at $399, 16GB Touch at $299, and 32GB Touch at $399.

The move would be reminiscent of the $200 iPhone price drop and discontinuation of the 4GB iPhone that took place in September, 2007. The surprise iPhone price drop -- only 3 months after the introduction of the iPhone -- caused an outcry amongst early adopters. The outcry was so great, that Steve Jobs posted an open letter to explain the decision and gave existing iPhone owners a $100 Apple store credit.

Based on this experience, it seems Apple would be reluctant to make a similar move when they could have easily timed the price drop to coincide with iPhone/Touch updates last week. This being said, the iPhone is still expected to receive further updates this year with the introduction of a 3G model in 2008. It's possible that any future price drops could correlate with the introduction of the 3G iPhone. AT&T has already committed to expand their 3G network to more U.S. cities in 2008.

While 9to5mac had an excellent early rumor record, their record has not been perfect, with their recent claims of 5 million iPhones sold by Macworld failing to come true.

Whoever told me to get a life for posting this: What the hell?
  2. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am going to be so freaking pissed if they drop the 8 gig and replace it with the 16.
  3. moomood256

moomood256 New Member

Well... as interesting as that sounds I think it will purely come down to the cost of flash memory and the sales at the prices as they stand. I think from Apple's standpoint they will prolly sit back for a bit before doing anything like that. I'd also like to add that they used to have three models of iPod's a while back with the same price schemes as now and did exactly as those whom you speak of think will happen with the iPod Touch.

Bottom line I'll give it a 40% chance of dropping the 8GB in the next three or four months
  4. arjayquizon

arjayquizon New Member

Thats just the way it is. If you don't want to buy the models being sold now for the fear of being "ripped off" with the newer and better models, you'll never get to buy anything. When you buy something like an iPod or a computer, buy it with no regrets.
  5. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Maybe, but two monthes after they release the upgrades. Actually i'm going to change my answer to no. My reason is that Apple lowered the iPhone's price 2 monthes after the release (Maybe more maybe less whatever) and they got MANY ticked off fans. They wouldn't do this again. Maybe when the 3G comes out.

P.S. What is the "3G" phone all i hear is that it's going to be amazing. . .
  6. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch Member

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    I dont think they will discontinue any devices, they have a high chance of lowering prices though.
  7. plokiju

plokiju New Member

Even if they did drop the price, I'd rather have my iPod since it came out than wait five months for a slightly cheaper one.
  8. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

If it does go down: I'm buying it.
  9. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The time has come for the early adopters to hate Apple. Which they have every right to. And are encouraged to. (by me.)

It's always a sad time when you coughed up $400 for a shiny new product, then a few months later your friend walks up with a shinier product he got for $250.
  10. eyezack87

eyezack87 New Member

I still have until March 1 to return my Touch for store credit. I'm seriously considering returning it and waiting for the drop so I can upgrade to the 32gb model without paying much money...