Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Possible hardware failure

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gsimonds, May 9, 2009.

1. gsimonds

gsimonds Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a 16gb 2G ipod touch, jailbroken, and have never had any issues with it. I've never had a problem entering DFU mode or anything else, and I'd like to think I'm an advanced user.

I charged the ipod overnight, and unplugged it and it was working fine. I went to work, and I have an Alpine unit and CD player in my vehicle to plug it in and operate the ipod via my CD Player.

I plugged it in to the Alpine unit, and it displayed the same song it always starts with, but would not play. I unplugged the ipod, and there was a message I had never seen before, something like "This device cannot charge......etc" .

It stayed on that screen for several minutes, and I could not do anything to change the screen, not even a hard reset with home and sleep. Eventually the screen went black and would not turn back on.

It is still tethered, so I assumed I just needed to plug it to my computer and run the commands to reset it. It does nothing when I plug it into the computer, or the AC adapter, or anything else. It will NOT enter DFU mode either.

Basically, there is nothing I can do to get anything other than a solid black screen. I've researched all morning, and my last resort is to just leave it alone for a few days and see if it will drain all the power and get itself out of whatever is going on.

Other than that, I feel it could be a hardware failure and need to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
  2. bandninja

bandninja New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yea mine did just about the same thing, and im just letting the battery drain

none of the hard buttons are working, but the screen is on (its not responsive either)
    if you find anything about this can you inform me?
  3. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do what I told bandninja to do. Press and hold Home and Sleep/Wake for 10 seconds. Then hold Sleep/Wake and see if it boots up.