Possible for me to repair this on my own?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by motionman95, Oct 24, 2010.

1. motionman95

motionman95 Member

I have an iPod Touch 2G MC Model, and awhile back I got a bit of water damage that jacked up the headphone jack and causes it not to detect when headphones are inserted, so it plays through both the speakers and headphones. I have a couple of questions, if anyone is willing to answer them:

• Is it possible to repair this on my own, by just buying the part?
    • How much might the part cost?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Bigray14719

Bigray14719 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Best solutions:

Stand the ipod upright (headphone jack point toward floor) in a large container of rice for one week. Don't touch it for one week. Let gravity work.

Use a cut q-tip and a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol to clean the jack and help dry it out.

If the part is actually fried it will need to be replaced.

Also rebooting and then respringing the ipod can help reset the headphone sensors sometimes.
  3. EarthRazer

EarthRazer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    He said this happened a while back, so the hardware is probably damaged. I'm guessing since you have to ask about the repairs, you probably don't have the expertise to fix it. Although if you are willing to learn, iFixit is a good place to start.
  4. motionman95

motionman95 Member

I think I'll just get one of those adapters that fits in the usb port and use that, instead of risking taking it apart and back together...

Anyone know what's the best kind, or any other tips?