possible failsafe unbricking process

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deleted account, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Ok so I have come up with an idea on how to avoid getting your iPod bricked from a possible bricking update such as the 1.1.3 rumors.

You take an iPod you just got that isn't jailbreaked at all, or an iPod you have recently restored.

And then you open use the Total Commander program, and copy all of the files over to your computer, and keep that as your backup.

Then if something happens, you open up Total Commander, delete everything off the jailbroken/iPod Touch, and replace the files with your backup, fresh, un-touched, un-hacked copy of your iPod

So now we get to why this is a possible failsafe and not a just a failsafe, is any of the things I've said possible at all?
  2. element4l

element4l New Member

When the iPod is bricked, it's most likely not going to be connected to wifi. So there would be no way to connect to the ipod.
  3. not through wifi, through total commander, you dont need wifi through total commander
  4. yz-125

yz-125 Member

use total commander with usb
  5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

What's wrong with just using the iTunes shift-restore method to downgrade to an earlier firmware? It's not like the new firmware is going to disable that...
  6. but theres is still a possibiliity, i dont care if you dont think it will work or not, i just want to kno if my method will work
  7. ben471

ben471 New Member

There is a thread about rumors of 1.1.3 and the restore button will detect 3rd party apps and brick your ipod. Otherwise you're right. Believe it or not, I don't believe it but it could be possible. I really don't care. I don't have to update, hell I can go without iTunes if I had to.
  8. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

just don't update your ipod to 1.1.3. because it sucks(because so far it cant be jailbreaked) and you can't downgrade(I know you can't downgrade because Nate who has the firmware has confirmed it)
  9. ok but will my idea work? i dont care if your saying not to update, thats not the point of this thread, the point is to figure out if its something i or anyone could depend on in the event that we do need it
  10. deveelx

deveelx New Member

If you connect your un-jailbroken iPod touch to Total Commander you won't be able to see the "everything" files of the iPod. You will only see few files and folders like "iTunes_Control", "iTunes", "Artwork", and "Music". You won't be able to see all the files (like the one see with a Jailbroken iPod) that make up the iPod touch using Total Commander. How do I know? Well I tried this before with my un-jailbroken iPod and all I see in Total Commander is those words I mentioned. So backing it up is impossible with Total Commander. Same thing with iPhoneBrowser. Only Apple has the program/software for this.

Nope. It's impossible. Unless you have the guts to do it but next thing you know your iPod is just merely a piece of trash.