possible cpu damage?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by berky93, Apr 22, 2009.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

last night while shutting down my computer (it was still at that blue screen that says "shutting down") I accidentally dropped my laptop off of a couch. it was a 1-2 foot drop. I thought everything was fine, only a small crack about 1 inch long in the bottom right corner of the casing (on the inside, next to the keyboard)

but then I turned it back on, after having been off all night and most of the day, and I noticed my cpu is really "sensitive." simple tasks such as switching web pages will now send it all the way up to 99% or 100%. I'm worried that this may be because of cpu damage. could that be the case? or do I simply need a defrag and cpu optimization?

oh yeah, and I'm running windows vista home premium on an HP tx2500z.
  2. breakkdown

breakkdown Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'd try defragging, and see in it makes a difference.
  3. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Doesn't sounds likely.

Download a program that shows how hot your cpu is. report back.
  4. berky93

berky93 New Member

any recommendations?

and I'm defragging right now. I really hope it isnt a hardware issue. I mean I can handle a small crack in the casing. but I'd rather not ship my laptop off to HP for a week if I dont need to.

EDIT: ok I got a ton of cpu info. heres a pic:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

• cpu.jpg
      cpu.jpg
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Download a benchmark program and put the system under stress for ten hours. If it survives this without crashing, you probably did not break anything.
  6. berky93

berky93 New Member

ok. lol I dont think my computer would survive that normally. but well see
  7. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

Its not the CPU, its most likely the hard drive got damaged. when data on hard drives is corrupted it takes more CPU power to run
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

well I havent noticed any data problems or anything. although my itunes "forgot" about all of my files (they were all still there, just not listed in itunes and I had to add the folder to my library again. but I think thats related to updating my itunes)

anyway I did a benchmark test, here are my results:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Attached Files:

9. Romanee

Romanee New Member

well, the cpu is generally pretty protected, if there was damage it would be pretty noticeable because it would be hardware, not software, if your processes are going really high, I would try killing a few processes and running a little app called Ccleaner, you can get it off http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ to clean out junk in your system. Most likely though, your system is fine, windows vista is a bit of a cpu and memory hog, even on a desktop.
  10. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ok worst that could have happened was damage to the cooling system. Its possible you dislodged some dirt or knocked the cooling element off track. My friends had a simalar problem. I took the whole thing apart cleaned it and his works much better now.