Possible - but slow and unstable - 2.0 jailbreaking methods?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by lauNchD, Jun 14, 2008.

1. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The iPhone 3G will not allow downgrading. 1.1.4 and earlier don't know how to talk to the 3G chip and downgrading will probably brick the phone.
    BUT for older devices - remember the 1.1.3 soft jailbreak?

Before the ramdisk exploit (which ZiPhone, iLiberty and pwnage (partly) use) was discovered, there was the 1.1.3 soft jailbreak, which required an already jailbroken device. It was a simple, 100-line script that downloaded the 1.1.3 firmware directly onto the iPod / iPhone, decrypted it, put Installer on the decrypted disk image and uploaded the disk image to the root directory, which made an almost perfectly working 1.1.3 jailbreak. Wouldn't that also be possible with 2.0? Just change the encryption...

The DevTeam also uses a dual-boot hack, which puts the existing firmware on a hidden partition and then boots the device in recovery mode. iTunes "restores" firmware 2.0 on the new empty partition and with iPhUC you can switch back and forth between both firmwares, old jailbroken 1.1.4 and the new jailed 2.0. Back on 1.1.4, you can just mount the 2.0 partition on it and put Installer on it.

Whoa, I think that was my longest post yet!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Hope I didn't bore you

2. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Wait, what do you want to know.

Why'd you tell us all that
  3. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I just wanted to ask if it is possible.

Everybody's "gotten crazy" about the new jailbreaking methods (iLiberty, ZiPhone and Pwnage) which won't work "just like that" immediately with 2.0, but downgrading a 2.0 OTB iPod, jailbreaking and dualbooting should work, wouldn't it??

It would probably be easy to trick iTunes to restore to 2.0, then boot on 1.1.4 and jailbreak the 2.0 partition. I'm just giving the community faith

4. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Apple has patched the Ramdisk exploit, and the only way to jailbreak 2.0 is by way of pwnage. It is the perfect solution, why not use it? they are working on 1.2 version of pwnage tool meaning that so far, they have had no problems with all 2.0 Betas. We will see soon. I just don't understand the point of this thread.
  5. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    hopefully a few days after 2.0 pwnage 1.3 or something will be out!
  6. cameleon1267

cameleon1267 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    right now we can only pwn 2.0 5a240d. All the following betas are not supported by pwnage tool 1.1. Is it because they want to keep some secret to ensure that we can jailbreak 2.0 or they didn't get a hold of the newer beta ? or they are waiting for the official 2.0 firmware to realease pwnage 1.2 with the correct patch.
  7. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    They are most likely waiting because it's stupid to hack the betas.
    I can guarantee that the new betas are hackable though.
  8. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ditto on both points
  9. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    hackers always succeed. we tought 1.1.3/4 was impossible too! at least a hard jailbreak...
  10. lauNchD

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    @Winterboard:
    Exactly. A hard jailbtreak... What I mean is you could soft-jailbreak 2.0 like one day after it comes out, it will be SLOW and kinda unstable, and then wait for, let's say, another ramdisk exploit. Pwnage is also an awesome jailbreaking method, but I don't use it because I'm too scared of f**king up the bootloader.