Possibility of 4G iPod Touch coming in Wifi & Wifi/3G models

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mossme89, Feb 9, 2010.

1. mossme89

mossme89 Member

This is all just speculation, but what do you guys think about the possibility of the 4G iPod touch comind in two different flavors like the iPad: Wifi & Wifi/3G?If Apple is doing this with the iPad, I don't see why they would be reluctant to do it with future iPod Touch's. They already said they are not afraid of the iPad cannibalizing other iDevice's sales.

Would you guys buy an iPod touch with 3G? Personally, I know I would buy one especially if they would keep the $15/30 prepaid data plans. The one thing I don't like about the iPhone is that it's heavily locked down in a contract with AT&T, and I don't use the phone much, mostly the web.

Just speculation, but my guess would be that the pricing would work something like this:

8GB wifi: dropped to $150
    16GB wifi: brought back at $225
    32GB wifi: $299
    32GB wifi/3G: $350
    64GB wifi: $399
    64GB wifi/3G: $450
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    People want a Camera, GPS, Mic, 3G. That's the only thing setting the iPod touch apart from the iPhone. Not going to happen.
  3. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    won't happen. apple just lifted the ban on allowing VoIP over 3G, if the iPod touch had 3G then it would cut heavily into their sales of iPhones.
  4. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It would be too confusing, and if this happened i would never want to get an iphone.
  5. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    IMO, the only plausible extension to the iPT's communication features would be 802.11n Wi-Fi, since it's gotten cheaper, more and more routers are being shipped with it, and the iPad has it. We'll see when the new iPhone comes out…

EDIT: Other features like camera/GPS/(3G) probably won't be included since they really do have a potential to cannibalize iPhone sales.
  6. LH08WDC

LH08WDC New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i heard the current 3g touch has 802.11n wifi, but it is not enabled. Same thing with radio.
  7. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Seriously? 3G isn't really that great. The speed isn't very good and it rarely comes in use. I'd rather have a crazy fast 2GHz and amazing graphics 1G than a 4G with camera, mic, etc.
  8. LH08WDC

LH08WDC New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    same here
  9. mangels09

mangels09 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ive been wishing that my ipod had an always-on data connection and I thought the exact same thing when the ipad came out. If the ipad can have it, why not the ipod touch... Oh wait, Jobs said its a Gaming Device. I guess i have to believe the one who knows all.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Im still hoping that it will happen though.