Possibilitiy? iPod Touch-to-iPod Touch Connectivity

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by kyungjin, Jan 14, 2008.

1. kyungjin

kyungjin New Member

Given the wide array and the amazing development going on in the iPod Touch community right now especially utilizing the built-in wifi on the iPhone and the touch, I was wondering if there was a possible function of communicating directly with another iPod Touch... say in the vincinity. This would be a major feat to be able to directly send messages, files, media, etc. without connecting to a base station (router) or a computer. As many people know, wireless connectivity is one of the few features offered on Microsoft's Zune that the iPod Touch and the iPhone does not have. I would just like to see if something like this is theoretically possible (with the current hardware present in the iPod Touch and iPhone).
  2. john.doe

john.doe New Member

DropCopy does this.

There is also an OS X version that allows you to send files very easily to your iPod touch/iPhone from your Mac.
  3. sodis

sodis New Member

It is not very difficult
  4. Acerei

Acerei New Member

In fact, i thought about this awhile ago... and the best idea/case scenerio that i could dream up is this....
    having an IM program that would work within the iPod touches/iPhones through Wi-Fi and it would be included for FREE in the next firmware upgrade.. 1.1.4
    the IM program would also have to have the ability to send files to each other... (pics, music)

it would be killer!
  5. i-r-david

i-r-david New Member

Wow, I was thinking the same. Infact, I just posted a thread titled "Messenger .app idea." but I think you explained it a lot better than me, haha. It's an amazing idea.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. kyungjin

kyungjin New Member

Really? Dropcopy does this?

I haven't tried it for awhile, but my understanding with Dropcopy was that you need a wireless router/base station for the network to get created (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, the point of this discussion was to get connectivity with nothing but two (or more iPod Touches) so, therefore there would be no need for a computer or a router to act as a bridge between two devices.

Anyway, this was just an idea to throw out into the open. But really, I think this feature would be a killer addition to the iPod (especially if it was able to be used in other applications. i.e. Use gpsphone to play games with another person wirelessly)

Okay... The last one seemed a bit out of proportion... but the basic idea is there...
  7. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Isn't dropcopy only for PC->iPod Touch?

Exactly with wifi it's definitely possible...apple is probably afraid that microsoft will think they copied them...
  8. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    your talking about an application that does the same sort of job as bluetooth does on phones?
  9. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    well.... iphone already has bluetooth so i guess if you could do something to that.....
  10. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you ran apache on the touch (it's in the Installer) you could run a web server. Which means you could provide web services. Add php (also in installer) to write your web services, and you've got yourself everything you need other then discovery. I suppose you could get some funky stuff working with dyndns so your touch could update its dns name when its IP changed, but it would only work if you got a public IP address via wifi - which isn't very likely.

You could go for an ad-hoc network to connect several ipod touches via wifi... it's just such a bad wireless technology for that though, and its unclear to me if you can define your own ad-hoc network in the touch. You really want bluetooth for that kind of on-the-fly wireless. You want bluetooth for many things. Why didn't they put bluetooth on the touch? Grrr. Bad Apple.