possibilities for new ip touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    Hi guys

I purchased my iPod Touch about a year ago. A 1st gen 8 gig jobby. I've always liked it, but only in the last month or so have i REALLY enjoyed it (almost like a new toy even) since firmware 2.x was released. For me, it's like a fresh beginning. up until 2.x i found the Touch good but stagnant and 'boring' even. just a music player. but since the app shop i've started using it almost all the time for things!

but, sooner or later i'd like to update. but only when there's significant reason to do so. Yup, extra memory would be good, but not yet essential for me. but what about other things, both in hardware and software?

HARDWARE - what can we realistically expect in the next year or 2? the introduction of a few curves and a speaker in the gen 2 isn't really a breakthrough in excitingness to me. so what else is plausible? significantly faster processors? camera? voice recording (ie, mic), more connectivity (ie, ability to connect joystick, stylus, mouse, sound recorders, monitors etc etc, you get the jist)? higher screen res?

SOFTWARE - this will obviously evolve, but how? again, what is feasable in the near future?

cheers fellers for your opinions.

ps, i'm looking for opinions which dont consider a jailbreak
  2. kixphlat

kixphlat Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Camera is a no-go imo it's just pathetic.
    "more connectivity (ie, ability to connect joystick, stylus, mouse, sound recorders, monitors etc etc, you get the jist)"
    Joystick? Stylus? Mouse?! That's ridiculous. It'll never happen.

Apple will either make it a bit fatter and more memory or a completely new UI.
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Why not Jailbreak? It's easy to do, and there's basically no risk of anything. A quick restore and there's no trace of it. With the jailbreak, even more features are possible.

As for what will come about in the next couple years, I'd doubt anything particularly groundbreaking. The 2G has a lot more features - including one that you mentioned. Audio-in. It also has a faster processor. I'd be surprised if Apple would add anything that would close the distance between the Touch and iPhone, so no GPS or Camera.

As for software, any software updates for the Touch will come out for the 1G as well as 2G. No need to upgrade for just that.

I strongly recommend trying Jailbreaking out. If the appstore had that much impact on you, jailbreaking will make it even more fun.
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My god, all these people wanting to turn the iPod Touch/iPhone into some sort of bloated hideous monster.

Just buy a friggin Laptop if you want all that crap on there.
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    take it easy Teslanaut, i'm not wanting all these things, i'm just exploring possibilities.

Noisemaker - i was jailbraked, but im not that interested to be honest. i prefer it as it comes.

i think the biggest leap for me will be a much faster processor.
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Agreed.

"O HAI! THIS IS MAH IPOD! LOOK! IT HAS A JOYSTICK, MOUSE, AND A SCREEN THE SIZE OF UR TV OMFG ITS OSSUM! DID I MENTION THE BUILT IN CAPPUCCINO MAEKER!?!?! IT'S ONLY 43 POUNDS AND FITS IN MOST BACKPACKS!

This forum so desperately needs a facepalm smiley.
  7. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Wouldn't it be nice if there was a portable device that you could customize and upgrade like a Desktop Computer. And its completely possible too.
  8. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G

now that i'd definitely go for!!!!
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  10. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

It would be. But I guarantee it won't be from Apple.

After the abomination that was the Zune, I'd hate to see Microsoft release anything.