Positive Review: Winpwn 2.0.0.2 of a ITouch 2.0 with XP. My experience

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by myboot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Like many of you, I've been checking the forums daily to see how the jailbreaks were going for other people and waiting until things seemed safe enough to give it a try myself. Last night I took the plunge and everything went well. So I wanted to post for the rest of you that are also probably waiting - in the even that it might be helpful to you.

I started with a Ipod Touch 2.0 and installed Winpwn 2.0.0.2 under Windows XP SP2. I rebooted my computer after the install just in case. I kept ITunes closed after rebooting.

In Winpwn, I did not use any custom boot images or loaders, but I did check the option for installing Cydia. After pointing Winpwn at my 2.0 Restore image, it produced a custom ipsw without error.

I was running ITunes 7.7. Winpwn pwned 7.7 without error.

I went to Youtube.com and watched a brief video about how to put my Ipod Touch into DFU mode. If you are unsure or want to be totally safe, you should do the same.

ITunes recognized me Ipod in DFU mode.

Then I did the shift click on restore in ITunes and it started restoring my Ipod. This was long and scary. It seemed like it was on "Preparing to restore" with the spnning wheel and Apple logo for 15 mintues. And even after it finally went into restoring it took awhile.

After that, it did it's "checking firmware bit," and then scarily said "restoring" again before it finally rebooted the Ipod. Upon reboot, ITunes recognized it as a new Ipod.

I had backed up all of my paid app store apps in advance just in case... but upon syncing ITunes automatically synced them to my newly jailbroken Ipod Touch.

End result: pwned! I have a Jailbroken Ipod Touch 2.0 with Cydia.

Cydia review: Cydia instantly wanted to update itself with like 15 different updates. I let it do that, added some sources, etc. All went without incident. Though Cydia feels a little weird at times. For instance, you'll go to install something and it will say it's complete yet the network activity wheel is still spinning like mad at the top and you cant exit Cydia. Which leads me to believe that some of the package installs and updates take longer than the Cydia program thinks.

I did receive some disk space warnings at first when Cydia first started doing its thing but later, upon installing Bosstool, Bosstool said my apps had already been moved. So if you get those warnings at first - not to worry.

As many have already said - there aren't a lot of 2.0 programs to install. The bulk of the things in the Cydia packages list are programming languages, program APIs, command line tools etc.

But I did install OpenSSH, MakeItMine, MobileTerminal, BossPrefs and NES. And those worked fine. Likewise, using OpenSSH I was able to SSH onto my Ipod and add ROMs for NES using WinSCP.

In summary, I had no issues using Winpwn 2.0.0.2 on Windows XP SP 2 to jailbreak an Ipod Touch 2.0. I'm happy to have once again wrestled control of my device away from Apple. But mostly what I've gained is the satisfaction that my Touch is once again jailbroken because there aren't a lot of apps out yet and no new Installer yet..
  2. terror110987

terror110987 New Member

Nice. Thanks for the nice review / information.. Helps me consider..
  3. Ska8r411

Ska8r411 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Same,I experienced nooooo problem!
  4. foppinanrockin

foppinanrockin Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Great review, WinPwn 2.0.0.2 worked great on XP for me too.
  5. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    A few things I left out of my review - I have installed apps from the App Store since jailbreaking and no problem there either.

Also, I used my Ipod all day today on Wifi at work, played NES, App Store games, music etc. No freeze ups or noticeable problems. Jailbroken 2.0 seems at least as stable as the original firmware.
  6. lhinds7

lhinds7 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I had no problem with 2.0.0.2 other than I failed at putting my iPod into DFU mode. Finally I got it and it worked like a charm. And now since I have wifi at my house I can now SSH. Yay!
  7. spraggih

spraggih New Member

Yes indeed. The 2.02 winpwn makes it very easy indeed. No problems here-- other than SSH did not immediately work after downloading it. Once I downloaded the Boss Prefs it worked-- even though when I opened Boss Prefs it said SSH was ON. I turned it off and then on again and it worked.

Now I can start re-copying that 3 gb Wikipedia dump onto my iTouch and once again have a jailbroken machine. Really like the Appstore-- I thought I wouldn't.
  8. myboot

myboot New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    More info on the Wikipedia dump you're talking about? Does it require a viewer application or did you dump it to raw HTML?

Also, does anyone have any info on MxTube 2.0? This was probably the biggest disappointment for my 2.0 jailbreak. I thought I had read somewhere that this was already ported. Apparently it will be soon (according to the developer's website) but I don't see it on Cydia and I cant find a manual app anywhere to install.
  9. kennethpetro

kennethpetro Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    "Now I can start re-copying that 3 gb Wikipedia dump onto my iTouch and once again have a jailbroken machine."

I'm running JB 1.1.1 and my wikipedia dump is 2.13GB.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I downloaded it a while ago though. Have there been any updates? Can you see attachments in your version?
  10. tokked

tokked New Member

I just have a quick question. Can I just use the firmware that I downloaded through itunes to build the custom firmware. Or do I have to find the firmware for the Itouch elsewere?