Ports. Need. Source. :)

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Virtualball, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I was looking through the list of requested games because I'm a loser like that and a lot of people were asking for "ports" of closed source things, like Kirby Tilt n Tumble. I just thought I'd make a PSA and say what a "port" is.

Wikipedia (reliable, eh?) says a Source Port is a "source code modification to a computer game's engine that allows it to be played on operating systems or computing platforms for which it was not originally created or compatible with. Source ports are generally created and released under a free software license like the GNU General Public License and are created not by a game's original developer, but by the associated fan community. As such, the creation of source ports does not usually begin until several years after a game's initial release when, and if, the source code is released to the public."

Basically, to port something it needs to have its sources available. Like TuxPuck. I ported that from its sources for SDL Linux. Another example are all of the emulators we have. They were all ported because Zodttd and NerveGas had access to the source code. So, I thought I'd just try and explain what a port was.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Good luck on future ports everyone!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. rocker5

rocker5 New Member

Jan 22, 2008
  3. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Jan 26, 2008
    Grand Theft Auto is Open Source??

-Noobs ears everywhere prick up-