Porting iphone app to pc

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Communati0n, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    yeah, kinda just getting started on this one, was considering porting a iphone app to windows, with some hacks already built into it. i am considering rebuilding it in c++ while looking at the assembler i got from dissembling it with ida. anyone know if this is possible, recommended or legal?
  2. chrotek

chrotek Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    possible - probably not
    recommeneded- see above
    legal - no,not without the app developers permission

good luck though

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    lol but possible? and i checked again since last post. apparently, it is legal if i hav it for "personal use"

PS:any help regarding understanding the dissembled code greatly appreciated
  4. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    The iPhone app uses libraries unavailable on a PC. Even if you were to slave over disassembly for days on end, keeping track of ivar offsets in class structures, and doing all the fun stuff associated with reverse-engineering a relatively high level language, you still would be far from your goal. Most of the code will be iPhone-platform-specific stuff. You're way better off just running the iPhone app, seeing what it does, and then writing a C++ app with similar functionality. In fact, unless you are after some super secret algorithm, or are trying to reverse-engineer a file format or network protocol, studying the disassembly doesn't get you anywhere.

Now, if you do need to reverse engineer a file format, network protocol, or something else critical to this PC program, then you should look at only parts of the disassembly (obviously). However, without symbols, finding pertinent subroutines will be a challenge. Surmountable? Yes, with enough time, effort and skill. Worthwhile? Maybe, but after reading your post, it looks like you are approaching this the wrong way; it looks like you think you can make a 1 to 1 "translation" from ARM disassembly of an iPhone app, to a PC program, which is misguided, to say the least.
  5. prbbyprieto

prbbyprieto New Member

i dont think its legal.
  6. Numbah81

Numbah81 Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yo is this legal?
  7. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    lol, i already checked and not possible to just translate it easily. what i am considering is looking at the important parts of the code, eg the section that deals with data transfer between the client and the server, and then rebuilding the entire app in c++. that would work wouldnt it?

and it is legal
  8. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you are interested in the data transfer between the app and the server, it probably would be easier to simply dump the traffic and take a look what is going on.
  9. Communati0n

Communati0n New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    yes. i am trying to intercept the data, and then modify it before transferring it to the server