Porting Copy + Paste to 2.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by H4CK!NT0SH, Aug 11, 2009.

1. H4CK!NT0SH

H4CK!NT0SH Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys. Well, I downgraded to 2.2.1 last night because I wanted to compare the speed of 3.0 to 2.2.1, and 2.2.1 is much faster. Please remember that this thread is not for debating which is better of the two, though I just have a simple question. Is it possible to port the Copy + Paste feature in 3.0 to 2.2.1? Thanks.
  2. lakers123

lakers123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes theres two apps in cydia for copy and paste on 2.0 not sure of the names but i think its clippy and some other one
  3. DazedUp

DazedUp New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    just upgrade to 3.0? but ya theirs something in cydia for it
  4. H4CK!NT0SH

H4CK!NT0SH Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I JUST said, I DOWNGRADED to 2.2.1 for a reason, and I don't want to be on 3.0
  5. Chrisschulz

Chrisschulz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I much prefer the ease of use of the copy and paste in 3.0 than the cydia apps.
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Download Clippy, hClipboard, or CopierCN.
  7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Dang it... You beat me to it.

But isn't there a plist that do all the copy and pasting? I would see how this won't work because this is a new firmware completely. So there the answer is simply no.
  8. davers

davers New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Funny, I've found that my iPod is quite a bit faster for most things on 3.0 than it was on 2.2.1.

But yeah, a simple Cydia search would have pointed you to your best bets (as posted by spoonforknife): Clippy, hClipboard, or CopierCN. I used Clippy extensively when I was on 2.2.1, it did the job without much fuss. The copy/paste in 3.0 is much better, though.

Hilarious to watch the new Apple TV ads shouting about how copy/paste is one of the device's "amazing new features", when the majority of phones have had copy/paste for a little over 10 years now... don't mean to bash Apple, just a laughable claim.
  9. H4CK!NT0SH

H4CK!NT0SH Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Listen, I KNOW that there are copy and paste apps in Cydia for 2.2.1. I am talking about the 3.0 feature specifically to be ported to 2.2.1 because it is the best one. I was just wondering if THAT FEATURE could be ported. I wasn't asking for other copy and paste suggestions. Bleh close this thread. I'm back on 3.0 anyway.
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

The issue is that, as exit1010 noted, the features are built INTO the firmware itself... which means the frameworks needed don't exist in the earlier firmware - the same reason many 1.1.x-specific apps don't work on later FW revisions. The way it's implemented in OS 3.x depends heavily on changes made to how iPhoneOS 3.x plugs into everything else. Those same changes to the way the interface is handled killed the 'hold-click' menus in some 2.x apps.

Good luck trying to port it yourself, though. With OS 3.x, most of those devs have apparently abandoned their projects the way game devs did Cydia and toolchain-developed apps once AppStore appeared. A lot of how the universal cut&paste works in 3.0, as well as the easy interface, can't be duplicated without those OS-specific changes in 3.x that made the API universally accessible between all those programs.