Portal

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by sokolov1, May 14, 2008.

1. sokolov1

sokolov1 New Member

Would it be possible to make a portal game on the ipod using similar graphics to yeti3D? I'd really love to see this game come to the ipod as it kept me entertained for many many hours on my 360, trouble is i'd miss it without the music/voices of the woman saying "cake will be at the end of this test" etc.

If you're a developer and read this post, please consider doing this! (i'll donate plenty of £/$'s)

~Soko
  2. kegansjack

kegansjack New Member

how would you get such a processor intensive game onto a portable device made for music, seems almost impossible
  3. ddgv

ddgv Well-Known Member

yeah this seems a bit too imposible... i mean portal is such a complex game that porting it.. or making one that has this type of processes to the ipod touch would kill it
  4. sokolov1

sokolov1 New Member

okay, just wondering if it was possible, i'm not talking about pc/360/ps3 graphics or anything btw, just like a start from scratch yeti3D mod or port, but in the style of portal.
  5. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you've listened to the developer's commentary on Portal, they outline all of the difficulties they experienced when creating Portal.

I don't know how advanced the Yeti engine is, but I don't know if it could handle all of that. I tried it on my iPod and it seemed a little basic.

Plus when you look through a portal, the engine has to render essentially 2 scenes (so 2x the graphics load). Therefore, I highly doubt Portal will be coming.

EDIT: However, anyone who manages to port Portal will be awarded cake.
  6. niko44

niko44 New Member

The cake...is a lie....
  7. niko44

niko44 New Member

not a straight port...NOT AT All....However a portal-like game could be developed....But the physics and complexity of portals would be really hard to develop.
  8. berky93

berky93 New Member

I wonder if they could port the falsh portal game - its a 2d flash game with portal-like gameplay (it was amde as a 2d version of portal)
  9. lgchicken

lgchicken New Member

i think a 2d version would be good
    like the flash game.
  10. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The flash version is good (I know, I finished it before playing the actual Portal), but in terms of storyline...
    nowhere near as good

Please Register or Log in to view images

If someone could recreate Portal in 2D (I doubt 3D would work) which has similar level design/storyline to the actual Portal that would be pretty good.

Hmm, has anyone thought about controls though?