Portable Wifi?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Antney1234, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Antney1234

Antney1234 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Hey everyone does anyone sell a portable wifi station that you can bring anywhere(and its portable), like in your car for wifi service so i can go on the internet anywhere without having trouble finding a signal? If Apple or any other company sells this can you please post a reply because i would like to buy it !

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks!
  2. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

If it is a connection the internet you want, then you only have a few choices. Once you get that connection, then you'll have to find a device to convert it to a wifi signal you can use to connect wth your iPod Touch.

You could buy several thousand miles of phone or network cable, mount the reel on your car, then feed it back to your house to keep constantly hooked up to to your DSL connection. Get a wifi router for the end in your car. Not really practical.

You could subscribe to satellite internet, and mount a dish on the roof of your car. This is what motor homes sometimes do.

With some cell phones you can get on the internet. There may be a cable or two that can hook into the cell phone like an old modem, perhaps with a notebook computer. From there you could add a wifi dongle and set up ad-hoc network sharing. Of course the network would look better on the notebook, so I don't see the point.

Or you could sell your touch, and buy an iPhone. The iPhone has internet so long as you are within AT&T's converage area, or in a secondary area that they share.
  3. dietztho000

dietztho000 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i am not selling but i do have a suggestion.

Well i have a EVDO USB MODEM, which get internet from a satelite, Then there is a RV router for it so this is what you might be lookngi for, but the EVDO is monthly charging

4. Firespray

Firespray Banned

I know there's a thread on here somewhere where you can turn a laptop into a WiFi hotspot, not all that practical but still has the same idea. Also there's one where if you have a phone that is running Windows Mobile 6, there's a application you can install that turns it into a WiFi hotspot and as long as your Touch is close to it, you'll always have internet.
  5. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

Apple already sell this device, it is called the iPhone and you can get internet anywhere with it (albeit a bit slow until they get their finger out and put 3g in it). You could look into
    http://www.pyrofersprojects.com/3gipod/3gipod.html

But really if you are going to start buying a pda or mobile to give the touch internet access you may as well just be done with it and buy the iPhone.
  7. masterwill22

masterwill22 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well to the post for turning a laptop to a wifi hotspot... that's the best option(besides the iphone. lol)... i think. Just buy a network card from verizon or sprint and pay for their internet fees. Than plug the network card in the laptop and internet should work for your laptop. Google ad-hoc and there will be instructions on how to set up your laptop into a wireless router. I was wondering if you can bring wireless game adapter and play xbox360 with it

8. tangalo

tangalo New Member