Portable Headphones, which ones?

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by ((( Sunn Aphex ))), Jun 10, 2010.

1. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

((( Sunn Aphex ))) New Member

Device:
    iPad
    Hey guys, for a while now I have been using sennheiser hd600s with my hifiman ef2 hybrid amp and I like them a lot for home listening. However when I go somewhere I can't really take my hd600s with me do to their size and their thirst for an amp. So when I go places I use boss-in-ear headphones whcih were nice at first but the more I listen to my sennheisers the more I hate the bose....

Now the time has come for me to buy another pair of headphones, not ones to replace my sennheisers, but headphones to replace my portable earbuds. I don't like the in ear design and I would like to buy some headphones to replace them.

I am willing to spend up to around 80 dollars if I need too. I need these headphones to be portable (not big headphones like the hd600s) and they need to run well without an amp (I'm plugging them directly into my iPad)

I was looking at the following:

-Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones
    -sennheiser px100s (I heard there were some build qulity issues)
    -Koss PortaPro headphones
    -Sennheiser hd202s
    -Sennheiser hd280s (maybe, only if there freaking amazing ampless headphones)
    -Audio Technica ATH-M50s (doubt I would go this high, just listing this cause I was looking at it.)

I listen to everything from reggae to progressive death metal to techno and trance. I am currently leaning towards the grados. Please recommend me good headphones. I prefer open headphones but it really doesn't matter to me in this case.
  2. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

Look here for some help

I can't really recommend anything without knowing ur music preferences
    but I'd go with PX-100-IIs
  3. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    thatnks for replaying, I am going to read that article, hopefully it helps, yea I listen to(I'll list as many genres and trends of music that I listen to as I can):
    -Dubstep
    -Filthstep
    -Drum and Bass
    -Trance
    -House
    -Hardstyle
    -industrial
    -experimental
    -progressive rock
    -rock
    -progressive
    -death metal
    -technical death metal
    -progressive death metal
    -reggae
    -classical
    -New wave (80s music)
    -alternative
    -"indie"

thats all that I can think of right now...
  4. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Hmmm, these bud's aren't that great for death metal, but for anything else they are nice!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Technologically enhanced music sounds great on them, as well as non-technologically enhanced music, as long as it's not like death metal... :-/ (jazz, soft-rock, etc...)

The Sony MDR-EX300's. They are originally $80, but are like $50 on Amazon.com, depending on the color you get, and you can get the one with a remote, volume controls, and mic built-in (model number DR-EX300iP) for around $70-$80 on Amazon.com, since they are more new... (and only come in black.)

The design may seem weird, I didn't like it at first, but they are so comfortable, and after a while I noticed how well they match the iPhone 3G in black.. (Glossy black plastic and chrome, or glossy white plastic and chrome...) And they kinda do look nice compared to similarly priced headphones... (S4's, I'm watching you...

)

They are nice headphone's though. They sound great. Sony know's sound.

If you want a pair though, I'd get it online from Amazon.com, they slightly changed the headphones at the beginning of this year to a better cable design... Some of the older reviews got the worse ones...

Amazon sells the newest style.
  5. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

APVangeliLMS, ur sony fanboydom is getting a little annoying

, the OP is asking for headphones, not IEMs
  6. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    get apple in ears!
  7. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

You are one funny bugger.

Go for the M50's. Easily driven by my Zune, and the bass is thumpin and strong. Trust me, you won't regret it.
  8. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    That hurt...

Just kidding.

But, I didn't realize that he was asking for headphones, I thought he was looking for something portable, like an IEM... It's very difficult to find on/over the ear headphones that fit in your pocket...
  9. ((( Sunn Aphex )))

Device:
    iPad
    I don't really want them to fit in my pocket. I meant portable like.....Not as giant as my sennheiser hd600s haha.
  10. Jacob86

Jacob86 New Member

vote Sennheiser hd202s