Poor Showing, Dev Team! (But I still love you).

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by digdug, Jan 27, 2008.

1. digdug

digdug New Member

Yes you provided a "soft" jailbreak, but there are clearly problems with its implementation. Why couldn't there have been something polished, simple and pretty to install this like "Touchfree"? You've shown that you could craft something so elegant, so why this time a release with a vague set of directions?

I understand that you do this for free, and applaud your efforts, but I think this was "rushed" out to the masses before it should have been. Just take a look at the state of disarray in this forum. Installer errors, drive space issues?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gyaaaar

gyaaaar New Member

I think part of the issue was that they thought they would have a few more weeks before releasing. Then a rogue developer released his version that was breaking many people's ipods, and doing the jailbreak so badly that fixes needed to be developed afterwards. So they put one together the best they could that would do the job properly and released it for those that couldn't wait, just to cut down on all the people doing it the wrong way.
  3. badams1

badams1 New Member

Exactly why im prolly just going to wait for the official 3rd party apps on itunes....
  4. walrick

walrick New Member

Everything works fine for me. I downloaded the files, uploaded to my iPod, executed the script and everything worked as expected. I don't understand why so many people are having problems.

Thanks to the Dev Team for the great work!
    Thanks to Nate True too, his jailbreak actually worked for me, but I decided to go with the official one since it uses the iPod touch firmware.
  5. Firespray

Firespray Banned

Don't they still have another jailbreak method underwraps? Wasn't there some stories that they found multiple exploits in 1.1.3?
  6. nicknaggriff

nicknaggriff New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    if theres more then one exploit, i hope that they keep it secret, because if they release it apple will patch it in the next update.
  7. Bitter

Bitter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If there is one under wraps, it better be a REAL jailbreak for one. I am tired of these soft upgrade things, they all have problems, and none of them actually jailbreak.

Bitter.
  8. digdug

digdug New Member

See, that's the problem. I did the same (coming from a fresh install from 1.1.1 -> 1.1.2 -->), uploaded the files to root, putty'ed in, ran the script and it worked fine till the end when it started trying to move directories which didn't exist (.../csidata), chown directories that didn't exist (.../MediaCache), and finally timed out, freezing my ipod.

Upon reboot, I see 1.1.3, but most definitely not confident that it was fully installed.

sh*tty release as far as I'm concerned.
  9. walrick

walrick New Member

Doesn't matter. Once the SDK is out, there will be lots of new holes to exploit. Lets face it, Apple is not very good on making secure software, look at QuickTime.
  10. commanderbdokey

commanderbdokey New Member

of the reasons is that since theres so many patches that apple put on 1.1.3 and the dev's have to find a way to get around it. the jailbreak methods are getting harder and harder cause apple is patching the ipod's fw