Poor Performance after restore

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by orion2020, Jan 10, 2008.

1. orion2020

orion2020 New Member

So prior, my ipod was just not performing very well. It was jailbroken, and apps installed when some themes. About a week ago, I got bored so I installed a bunch of new apps. Did a mass cleanup a couple days later since it seemed "full" lol. But after that, my ipod was slow, crashes, choppy annimations, etc... So I decided to restore and start fresh.

Restored 1.1.2, downgraded to 1.1.1, jailbroke, upgraded to 1.1.2 and it went very smoothly. Jailbroke 1.1.2 and still going great.

Once it was done jailbreaking, I loaded a couple normal aps. Apollo, iphone apps, bsd subsystems, summerboard and backgammon. Loaded my fav theme and good to go. I then went to sync my music, videos, etc, the sync seemed to just freeze. I cancelled the sync via my ipod and restarted it. No music or videos. Rebooted my computer and tried the sync again. Music and videos went on no problem but the sync didn't finish and just stalled. Cancelled via the ipod again.

Happy that everything went on, I left it at that but my ipod is just as bad as it was prior to restoring. Apps locking and crashing, choppy performance, weird wifi behavior, contacts and cal not syncing, etc...

Im guessing the sync locking might have corrupted something. I plan on restoring again tonight using a different computer and trying again.

Thoughts or ideas?
  2. orion2020

orion2020 New Member

Update: Im at work right now so can't do much, but I decided to uninstall app by app to see if one of them is causing my grief.

Last app I uninstalled leaving me with just the iphone apps was summerboard via intstaller. Seems somewhat better now at least as for the annimations and smoothness of the ipod.

Will keep monitoring
  3. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    What's happening for the weird wi-fi behaviour?
  4. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  5. orion2020

orion2020 New Member

It was basically just not pulling an ip at random times. Would only work if I rebooted it. Then if I came back to it like an hour later, no ip and wouldn't pull one until I rebooted it.
  6. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No ideas. So it's stable before you jailbreak it? Rules out hardware (mostly, could still have some buggered flash that you only run into after you load it up.)

I've got a lot of apps on mine, but no theme, and mine's rock solid no sync issues... not saying that has anything to do with it.

When you're syncing up, is it fulling the ipod to the very top, or do you have decent space free?
  7. orion2020

orion2020 New Member

Thanks for this link. I did in fact have my dim wallpaper active and now that I read this, all my issues did start when I changed themes and put on the dim wallpaper. Very interesting, will have to retest when I get home.

Coming from a 512Mb shuffle, to a 16gig touch, I had and still have issues filling it up LOL. As of right now, total, I am using 9gigs.

Im pushing it hard right now, and its WAY better with summerboard removed but as RedrumsSam pointed out, it could be that I had Dim Wallpaper active. Going to retest when I get home and see since I uninstalled summerboard already.
  8. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Sounds right - would be good to fix it, then break it again, and then fix it one more time - then post back exactly what's borking it.
  9. orion2020

orion2020 New Member

Well, it's confirmed for my ipod. Once I had summerboard removed, my ipod went from crap, to like brand new. I pushed it hard for the rest of the day, not one hiccup.

Got home, installed summerboard again, set Dim wallpaper on and went to crap again. Removed Dim wallpaper and went better, but not great. Removed summerboard, and its back to like new.

Oh well, to be honest, im liking it not themed. Im really appreciating the minimal appearence, but I found I was more productive with it without always analyizing my icons, wallpaper, icon placement, etc....

Gonna leave summerboard off for now.