[POLL] Should they give up?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by Gtamario, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Should apple give up on trying to stop jailbreakers or should they keep the arms race up? VOTE NOW!!
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sigh, we've been through this already.

They have to stop piracy and need to make sure baseband unlocking is not able.
  3. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well, there's no such thing as an unpiratable app or an unjailbreakable product. It all just takes time (thanks comex!)
  4. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I think they should not totally allow jailbreaking because the pirating of peoples works is not a good thing. We work hard on making apps for the app store and they are cheap, so I dont see why people pirate them besides greed. The themes, homebrew, and tweaks part I can understand and that is not bad for Apple just gets them more sales. The carrier unlocking and what not I dont really know to much about so I am just not going to speak about that.
  5. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Piracy - Apple loses money
    Unlocking - Get a poorer deal from carriers = Apple loses money

If you had the option of losing money and not losing money, which would you choose?
  6. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The thing about piracy is that its like the weather. Good or bad, you can't avoid it.
  7. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Apple refusing to stop patching exploits means that a EVERYONE can take part in piracy. If they continue to stop them, then people can't... which means that they make more money.

If Apple didn't try to stop it they might as well just put a huge notice saying "HEY GET FREE APPS HERE THAT YOU'RE MEANT TO PAY FOR"

It may not be completely avoidable, but the more exploits you patch the less chance there is of there being a jailbreak which means more money for Apple..
  8. Gtamario

Gtamario Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Going a little OT here: I did a paper on piracy, apple, jailbreaking and the App store for Business class, and a bit of research. Here's what i found- that big devs (i.e. Twitter, Facebook, CNN, Newsweek etc.) are MORE likely to get pirated than small users, but they still turn a profit from the App Store. Why? Because these apps have higner demand. Now look at a little basement dev. Thier products suffer less piracy, but also less demand. In other terms, piracy is directly proportional to demand. However, little devs are more likely to lose money from developing (they have to eat). Therefore, my conclusion stated that they should do a cost benifit analysis on wether it's really worthwhile to continue developing. <Even more OT> My teacher interpreted this as saying that they should GTFO, but he's a sourpuss </Even more OT>

Anyway, what I mean is that there's no use whining about the inevitable. As Keynes said, In he long run. we're all dead.
  9. JacobVengeance

JacobVengeance Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well I agree they should not allow jailbreaking, but they should add in features in the official software that makes us want jailbreak less.
  10. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    So your suggestion is to stop patching exploits and throw the doors wide open for whoever wants to pirate an app. This would abolish whatever little revenue these small developers get from their apps, so apple would get 30% of nothing, its not in their self interest (or anybody else's for that matter) for that to happen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.