Poll: My 2 Cents on Jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tinyman392, Jun 19, 2010.

?

Do you think jailbreaking will come to an inevitable end?

1. Yes, of course, everything good comes to an end

13.3%
  2. NO! Don't be CRAZY. Jailbreaking will NEVER end

50.0%
  3. I really don't know... Lets see how it turns out.

36.7%
  4. I DON'T CARE! JUST SHOW ME HOW TO USE THIS iTHING!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    OK. Couple of things before I begin (if you want to go to the meat of the thread, go to the next paragraph). First off, I am jailbroken, and love it. But I'm seeing a trend. Second, this is for the mods, I didn't know exactly where to put this, so I'm putting it here (in otherwords, feel free to move it). Now to the point.

As I stated earlier, I am jailbroken, but have noticed a trend while jailbroken from the 1.x days to the present. This is 100% opinionated, and feel free to post your opinion on this topic.

The trend that I have seen in jailbreaking is that it is slowly fading away. What I mean by this is that jailbreaking is beginning to look less and less useful and will eventually go away*.

To begin, in the 1.x days, the main reason to jailbreak was for themes and games/apps (custom), and categories. 2.x came out and games and apps went away from jailbreaking. Jailbreaking became about themes and small mods (SBSettings, early backgrounder, ect.).

Well that was all great, I was ecstatic when we got basic features like backgrounding and copy and paste. But I still used jailbreaking mainly for wallpaper. My most basic need.

3.x came out. Guess what, it included copy and paste. Take that off the list. So jailbreaking went into many deeper mods. And of course multitasking and wallpaper/themes. Mods like LockInfo, Infinboard, Infinidock, ect. But of course 4.0 came out.

That leaves us with what we have today. We have an OS with multitasking, folders (replaces categories), copy and paste, and wallpapers. Wait a sec. Weren't these the main reasons to jailbreak in the first place? Of course they were. Except for the deeper mods.

What I predict in the future is that Apple will begin to add more to the OS, like a LockInfo clone (can easily be done). InfiniBoard and InfiniDock probably won't come, but they aren't really a necessity for the OS to survive, you can basically get an infinate amount of apps on a page through folders (and for the dock, folders go into the dock too!). Lets see, that's 192 apps per page, and 48 apps for the dock. I think that's close enough to infinity, don't you? (InfiniBoard didn't let me go to infinity when I used it, might have changed by now).

The future in jailbreaking is looking dimmer and dimmer as we find less reason to jailbreak as Apple, does hear our cries, just waits to answer. I believe that at one point, the only reason to jailbreak will be for themes and [redacted] (I redacted it myself, I didn't say it so please don't ban me!

Please Register or Log in to view images

) But these will eventually be the only two things Apple will never allow on the device (One of them for an obvious reason!).

Well, that's all I've got, from the future, to now, what I see jailbreaking coming to inevitably. However, I do believe that everyone has a right to an opinion, so please, tell me your opinion on this. I'd be interested to see where you think jailbreaking will go in the future.

Of course there's that voice in the back of my head telling me that a dev will come up with something so useful and so awesome, that one will NEED to jailbreak just to have it.
  2. Lagunatic

Lagunatic Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Apple will never come out with a device that is fully customisable while stevey is in control. jailbreaking just adds that extra.......oomph to an idevice. i dont even think i will upgrade to 4.0 coz all features i have already on my jb'd ipod.
  3. Torin_93

Torin_93 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I 100% agree with you. Even though there may be less need for a jailbreak as the hardware and software get better there is more opportunity for developers to develop jailbreak apps and tweaks that we cant dream of yet. Jailbreaking may not completely be useless but may become less appealing to the average kid who wants to jailbreak.

As of now I think 4.0 is the perfect firmware for a jailbreak. Apple figured out the perfect way to use multitasking which is a big need for all of us. There are still tweaks like SBSettings RSS widgets and lockscreen addons that we can use.

Great thread btw I agree!
  4. peebrian202869

peebrian202869 Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Unless they open their system, which they wont, i will always jailbreak.
  5. Ouchy_S

Ouchy_S Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Sure you are right, the reason to Jailbreak is diminishing with each firmware update, but Jail breaking still offers us things that Apple won't let us do.
    Do you think Apple will ever let us run Emulators on our iDevices?
    Do you think Apple will ever give us the option to fully theme everything in our iDevices.
    Do you think Apple will ever give us the chance to do some many other things?
    No.
  6. magic8ball88

magic8ball88 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I would really like to see some sort of file manager on the iDevices. Not one of the app store ones that only lets you see a small portion of your stuff but one like Finder on the Mac. Fully functional and organized for you.
  7. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Pretty sure the main reason you forgot to put into your post is that jailbreaking came along to find a way for the original iPhone to be unlocked, without resorting to hardware modifications done to the device. The rest are just extra goodies to be had.
  8. sageDieu

sageDieu Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You weren't super clear on the timing... Of course the answer is the first one because there will come a time when we are all interconnected and have AI and VI and holograms and stuff. Who needs to jailbreak an iphone then? The iPhone itself will die out before jailbreaking does, unless Apple completely opens everything about their devices.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Search iFile in Cydia. It's pretty much perfect. Everything you could ask for.
  9. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    It won't end.

But as we go through software updates, its functionality will be lessened. It started happening with 2.0 (or 1.1.3 for the iPod touch), and it will continue.
  10. dude245

dude245 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    did you notice that all the features that apple have added came from cydia apps? jailbreaking is what drives new ideas into apples hands, where they can get paid for it. They dont like that you can crack apps, but moving them into profit would be their bottom line