Pocket PC vs. Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by digitalduck, May 16, 2008.

1. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

OK, Im simply asking becasue I had the same pocket pc (Hp Ipaq rx3115) for a few years and could do enough with it. I know the touch is not a pocket pc...but just in terms of things like games, ther are so many sites decided to ppc games as well as blackberry, smartphone and more. Since it was an older ppc I am hoping that the sdk produces some decent third party apps (games) that we cna play because it will be disappointing that I cant play even a third of the games I could on the ppc, on the touch...guess we'll see.
  2. Tigerclaw

Tigerclaw New Member

For me it's the iPod Touch.

I have an iPAQ hx2495 and it WAS brilliant (to a degree) I used it for everything, email, web, contacts, games etc. Oh and TomTom navigator.

Then came the Touch. With MUCH better graphics, better web browser and far superior email program. The touch screen makes it easier to use than a stylus screen, and it has everything the PPC has apart from the navigator program. I can use google maps though, but not constantly because of the WiFi conection. All in all I prefer the Touch, and the PPC is just left gathering dust now

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Tigerclaw... Yeah I sold my ppc to put money towards my 16gig touch which ill get today, but for someone who plays the occasinal game on ppc i played the good ones so i am hoping some good ones come out for touch...although i guess i can see how emulator graphics look...
  4. damhack

damhack New Member

I've used PPC/WM since Windows CE 1 days and always rated PPC as functionally good.

I just sold my favourite WM6 XDA Orbit to get a Nokia N95.

The reason - so that I have a mobile 3G hotspot for my iPod Touch.

In the same way that the Apple Newton was year's ahead of Palm and CE 1 when it came out, the iPod Touch/iPhone is so far ahead of WM6/7 and S60 user experience-wise.

My iPoT is my most valued gadget. Now that I have 3G working with it, it makes my PPC's and smartphones seem antiquated.

Gameswise, I have PS1, Gameboy Advance and Sega Genesis emulators running on it at full speed with sound. Also iPhysics, Pool, Transport Tycoon, Tap Tap Revolution, Dopewars, Doom, various scrolling shooters, lots of puzzle/board games and a 3D racing game called Raging Thunder.

And these are the homebrew games! Just wait til the SDK-produced stuff starts coming out. Spore on iPhone already looks amazing.

The clincher for me though are the connected apps like Google Maps, Orb (live TV), VOIP, BBC iPlayer, MxTube, VNSea (vnc port), iSlsk (Soulseek p2p music), iBand (garageband music composer), iRadio and a host of others.

And Safari is light year's ahead of any browser on any other mobile device. Barring the lack of Flash, it just handles everything like it was a desktop machine - but with a great touch interface.

Dam
  5. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Dam,

Thanks for the very indepth reply...i apprecaite it. Nice idea wiht the 3G phone/touch combo. I like Transport Tycoon..glad there was a simcity port.. Im still waiting for a nice adventure game, but this is a good start...sure, sure i could use an emulator, and probably wll..but wiht the amount of games out there, where would I start? lol...

Yeah, im cettainly looking forward to using this... thanks again

That begs the question...whihc emulator looks better on IPT? GBA or sony? etc..
  6. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

the better looking emulator would probably have to be the PSX on, cuz i belive the original playstation had better looking games than the GBA. Gameplay and operating wise, the GBA emulators blow PSX out of the water tho, who doesnt love pokemon?
  7. InchikiJaNai

InchikiJaNai New Member

Doom? What/where/how easy to control?