please uninstall then reinstall

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Installer.app' started by 1337chaos, Feb 10, 2008.

1. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ok so i went to installer.app, saw that there was an update to Customize(Custom)2 so i tried updating, after having just updated to Sketches 0.5. so i tried the update and it tells me "please uninstall then reinstall" ok, so i go to the Uninstall page, trry to uninstall the previous version of Customize(Custom) and it tells me "please uninstall then reinstall" so im like... forget it. so i try installing a new app from the recent list, and it tells me again. now matter what i do now, it tells me the same thing. i cant uninstall, install, update. anything.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

It seems like you found an installer bug. It looks like the Upgrad never properly left your queue. Try force quitting Installer. I don't know how Installer saves its queues, since I've never looked, so you might need to reboot.
  3. gfer66

gfer66 New Member

I have the same problem trying to update to Customize(Custom)2. But I can install, uninstall or update anything else.
  4. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    alright i force quit it, and it let me uninstall the Customize(Custom), but now customize(Custom)2 has disappeared from installer.
  5. ./^\.ACE./^\.

./^\.ACE./^\. Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I forced exited installer and rebooted my iPod and I still get that same message...
    This only happened after I added Skylar's Customize(Custom) last night...
    I think there is something wrong in the code for it that is messing up installer, I can't even uninstall anything or reinstall installer...
    I changed everything in installer to 755 and still no fix...
    The only thing that I could uninstalle was Customize(Custom)...
    Now what?
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

The following are the complete uninstall and upgrade scripts. As you can see, both scripts are very standard. I assure you that this is an Installer bug.

HTML:
              <key>uninstall</key>
              <array>
                <array>
                  <string>RemovePath</string>
                  <string>/Applications/Customize.app</string>
                </array>
              </array>

HTML:
              <key>update</key>
              <array>
                <array>
                  <string>AbortOperation</string>
                  <string>Please uninstall then reinstall.</string>
                </array>
              </array>
  7. robcoffee

robcoffee New Member

I have had this problem with a number of different apps I have tried to install from the installer recently, it seems to be caused when you try to install something that requires another action first before it can be installed. ie Last night I tried to installed Jiggy, but it told me I had to install another jiggy app first to get the jiggy bit to run. So I tried to go install that app and it said I had to install it first - But that is what I was trying to do! I closed installer then reopened and then went to the correct first jiggy app and it let me install it and then I could install the other bit.

So to get round the problem, close installer and then reopen it. I don't think it is related to what you are trying to install, it is an issue with the warning alert of installer which does not reset itself, it just keeps bringing up the same warning whatever you try to do.
  8. jadphoto

jadphoto New Member

I have this same problem.