Please read before jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by stillercity, Feb 4, 2009.

1. stillercity

stillercity New Member

IF YOU NEED TO INSTALL LIBUSB AND YOU ARE ON VISTA OR WINDOWS 7, PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT!!!

I have had a lot of people come up to me and tell me that they broke they're computers after trying to install libUSB. One of my friends even restored his computer. If you are in Vista or Windows 7, follow this procedure before installing:

1. Right click on the libUSB install file (the .exe included with iRecovery).
    2. Click Properties
    3. Click the Compatability tab.
    4. Check "Run this program in compatability mode for:"
    5. Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) and hit Apply and then OK.
    6. Double click the libUSB installer to install. You will be fine after that.

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE SCREWED BECAUSE YOU ACCIDENTALLY INSTALLED libUSB NOT IN COMPATABILITY MODE, READ THIS:

You aren't screwed

Please Register or Log in to view images

. All you need to do is find a mouse or keyboard that doesn't go in through the USB port. Then follow these directions:

1. Restart your computer, either manually (holding the button on the PC), or if you are able to, tab to restart (use Windows key, etc.)
    2. While your computer is rebooting, tap F8 lightly until a screen comes up with multiple options. Select Run as Safe Mode...
    3. You should be able to log in, either using your non-USB keyboard or your non-USB mouse.
    4. Tab or click your way into control panel.
    5. Select Add or Remove Programs.
    6. Remove libUSB.
    7. Restart your computer

That should have your computer fixed and ready to go!

Once again, I created this because SO many people have been complaining about their computers breaking. If you don't like this thread, so be it. If just one person sees this and correctly installs libUSB, my job is fulfilled.