Please make this clear to me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by buckchucko, Jun 23, 2009.

1. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have a 1st generation iPhone 3g jailbroken and using FW 2.2 BB 2.28 BL 5.08

If I use iTunes to upgrade to 2.2.1 I know this will upgrade my BB to 3.0 as well.

SO..... If I do this upgrade EXACTLY what will happen???

1. Do I lose my jailbreak and then have to re-jailbreak and reinstall all my apps?

2. Will UltraSnow work for me and unlock just like YellowSnow does for me now?

I really need to be clear about this since I have 2 similiar phones to do.

Thanks
  2. Greggyfoote

Greggyfoote New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    How can you have a first generation iphone 3g? :S
  3. beebop

beebop New Member

Right.. you upgrade to 2.2.1 (why not 3.0?) and you lose your jailbreak AND if you're not using the original network provider (o2) then you will lose phone capabilities.

So you use ultrasn0w to jailbreak an unlock it back to normal
  4. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    jeez

This is what I mean about this forum now. People talk in circles! I HAVE a 1st generation iPhone NOT a 3Gs. It is an 8GB bought in Asia. Is that so hard to understand??? Read slowly, maybe you will get it.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Thank you beebop. So then Ultrasnow ALSO does a jailbreak if I understand you correctly.
  5. Greggyfoote

Greggyfoote New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Well maybe people won't "talk in circles" if you actually posted accurately moron. "A 1st generation 3g " Good one, fool.
  6. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    do you have a first generation iphone (the matt silver back with black antenna)

or do you have the the iphone 3G (glossy black for 8gb)

if so, then yea, ultrasn0w works in the same way that yellowsn0w does, you jailbreak it, and then install it through cydia, reboot and use your sim. it works exactly the same as yellowsn0w

and yes you will have to re-jailbreak 3.0 and you will lose all of your apps
  7. melterx12

melterx12 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    He means he has a 3 g and not the new 3 gs

to unlock your phone first upgrade to 3.0 fw on iTunes. Then use redsnow to jailbreak and finally install ultrasnow from cydia to unlock
  8. ipodmanfan

ipodmanfan New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    IF You have a first Generation i phone which is better known as a 2G OK.

Now then this is what I did but do this at your own risk.

1. I restored my i phone 2G to factory settings in i tunes

2. Updated to the latest firmware from the latest i tunes (a paying customer) well some might believe me.

3. Jailbroke the i phone with Redsnow 0.7.2 fix(newest release from the Dev Team), no problems in the jailbreak. Please note: I did not have a sim present in my i phone during the jailbreak process. Also you have to have the Bootloaders BL39 and BL46 ready in a known location on your PC.

4. Did the usual stuff after a jailbreak Boss tool etc.

IF you have a 3G i phone (Which I think You have) add the source for Ultrasnow from Cydia and Unlock with that.

Now I have a jailbroken ulocked i phone 1 st generation 2G i phone. oh wait a minute is it a 3G I wish it was or is it a 3GS or dam it I'm unsure now, you have got me all confused lol I hope this helps you if it does just pass it on and help others on the forum if you can.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Oh I see you have edited your post, now that's better do you understand about i phones now?
  9. buckchucko

buckchucko Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thank you

Thank you Xhiea. You answered my questions dead on. I know what I need to do to upgrade, jailbreak and unlock my iPhone.

I also stand corrected about my terminology. I do have 3g iPhones that are the 8GB Black Plastic ones. I was mistaken to call it a 1st generation, but my detailed description at the beginning of my post should have left no doubt I was talking about a 3g iPhone.

Thanks all