iOS 4.1 Please just read this.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by djspan, Oct 9, 2010.

1. djspan

djspan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Hi Everyone,
    Before I start, please note that this is not another petty thread asking for a release date, I just need some help.

Long story short I hit the erase all content and settings button on my iPhone 3Gs running 3.1.3 earlier, mainly because the device was running slow due to a ton of crap that I installed off cydia. Now I only got the phone recently so I had not SHSH blobs backed up for 3.1.3, only 4.1. I was also jailbroken with star (jailbreakme.com).

So once the built in restore had completed, it rebooted then did the star boot thing (two lines at the top of the screen, spinning cog in the middle). And I left it for over 20 minutes and it wouldn't boot so I tried again and again to no avail.

I then found the method which uses firmware umbrella to preserve your baseband, but upgrade the firmware; And I figured that would be fine as greenp0ison, limera1n, whatever is being released tomorrow so I could just jailbreak and install ultrasn0w. So I tried it but got no error 3004 and my baseband was upgraded, despite the fact that I followed the guide word for word.

So in the end I now have a newish 3Gs running 4.1 locked to vodafone UK and a 3 sim. I did activate it using an old payg sim. My baseband is 5.14.02, which I believe is currently unlockable.

As far as I know I can
    • Jailbreak tomorrow
    • Allways downgrade to 4.1

But I have to wait for the devteam to release an ultrasn0w update, before my device is not unlockable.

Sorry for the long thread, just want to be totally clear, as I'm gutted.

Cheers,

Dan
  2. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

buy out your lock directly with apple

Buy your lock out directly at apple. AS LONG AS you don't have a US 3GS you should be able to buy yourself an official unlock at about 50 euros. better then to have your iphone downgraded to an ipod touch.

within a couple of days you sholud get a network update or whatever in itunes (when you connect your phone to it) and then it should say your phone is unlocked.

good luck
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    does these official unlocks. any imei as long as not american on an iphone can be unlocked. He told me, he pays apple about 40 euro's and usually he charges his customers 60 euro's or more. with a bit of luck you are unlocked by the end of the week.
  3. djspan

djspan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Can I do this at an apple store? I'm in the UK
  4. Captain*

Captain* Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    No you cant buy a lock out, the phone is SIM locked for a reason. It subsidies the phone (makes it cheaper) and technically its owned by Vodafone. Apple then technically have the right to confiscate it, but I doubt they will. You have no way to unlock that thing for now mate, you will have to ride out the storm. Seeing as its activated on your PAYG SIM it isn't a problem?

I wouldn't know as I have a legit Vodafone 3GS and SIM...
  5. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Contact vodafone, they may have an official unlock.

I know 02 do this

Also that TU trick was ONLY for iPhone 4, all other handsets have baseband upgrades.

This is because the i4 baseband has shsh blobs now so TU just blocks this, all previous models don't have shsh basebands.
  6. namtaffy

namtaffy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    This is totally incorrect. The person who took out the iPhones contract is the legal owner of it as soon as he signs the contract. The phone is NEVER the property of the network once it has been sold to the customer. The obligation to fulfill the service contract has nothing to do with ownership of the phone.

Vodafone may be able to unlock it for you for a nominal fee, most uk carriers will do this for you and some for free if you have a contract with them (of course you can only ask the network the phone is locked to unlock)