Please Help

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by Max Be Max, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Max Be Max

Max Be Max New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just recently jailbroke my Touch, and everything seemed to be going fine. I proceeded to go into Cydia and download one specific app that needed you to reboot. I clicked on it, and my Touch stayed black. I tried holding the power button and everything. I plug it into my computer, and my computer recognizes it, but says there's something wrong with it and cannot read my Touch. What is up?
  2. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Please read before even jailbreaking your iPod. The jailbreak is currently tethered. Meaning everytime you reboot your ipod, you will need to complete the last steps AFTER you restored you iPod with the custom firmware.

Just use one of the several bootloader programs that are on these forums. Be sure to put it in DFU mode before running the bootload program though.
  3. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    You have to get into DFU mode and run the patch again. Thats the whole point of the tethered JB. If it gets turned off or reboots it has to reapplied
  4. Drewacell

Drewacell New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm having the same exact problem...after installing winterboard. the ipod had to reboot, which sounded bizarre seeing as the 2g jailbreak is a tethered release (meaning you can't turn off the ipod, or else you have to redo some steps from the jailbreaking process).

are there any other ways to get the ipod into DFU mode from being completely powered off?

EDIT: I posted at the same time as both of you...so I didn't get a chance to read your post until now. honestly, searching for stuff on these forums is hell. I use the search function and everything...but it's near impossible to find anything relevant
  5. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Rebooting will not make you loose any jailbreak data. All you have to do is

A) Run the steps that you did after restoring to custom firmware.

or

B) Use a bootloader program to get you iPod to boot up properly.

If you ipod is currently in DFU mode, the only way to get running again is by the doing the above.
  6. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Unplug the ipod, plug back in and hold the home and power for 10 secs, let off the power and continue to hold the home button for 7 and it will be in DFU mode.
  7. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

This is what you need to do.

OP - we were annoyed because there are 800 of these topics daily. Also, keep in mind that the timing for DFU mode is not approximate, it is exact.

EDIT: Thought this was worth mentioning:
    Cydia and it's programs weren't written for the 2G, and they don't care what kind of iPod or iPhone you have. It tells every iPod or iPhone that downloads Winterboard to reboot. You could get around this by using SBsettings to respring, but I would prefer to restart to stay on the safe side.
  8. Drewacell

Drewacell New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I totally understand that I need to do the last three steps in Cyw00d...but I cannot get my ipod into DFU mode. it "rebooted" (pretty much just completely turned off) after I installed winterboard from cydia.

I'll try unplugging it again and doing the power button/home button trick
  9. Xii

Xii New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As jpga said, try holding both the sleep and power buttons for 10 seconds. Then release the sleep button and continue to hold the power button for 15 seconds. The timing has to be precise. You should hear some sounds from your computer confirming this.
  10. Max Be Max

Max Be Max New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay, thank you all for the help. I got up back and running.