please help -ziphone -- new touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Bouty, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Bouty

Bouty New Member

i have had a 1st gen iphone running on 1.1.4 firmware and ziphone for about a yr now with no complaints...i just got a new touch 32gb that when i plug in it says must have itunes 8.0 or better to work......i have never updated my iphone firmware or my itunes software since all was well....so my question is can i update itunes to 8.0 without throwing my unlocked iphone 1.1.4 into a tailspin or will that update ruin what i got going on with my iphone?

any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. pss

pss New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    1.1.4, wow those sure were the days. 2.2.1 is the current version of the software and 3.0 is even on the horizon now.

The first thing you should do is dump 1.1.4 for the latest version of the software (you will lose all jailbreak apps and settings, but ipod settings and bookmarks should stay.) You're missing out on some great apps in the App Store and the newer Cydia.

Ziphone will not jailbreak any new firmwares, use QuickPwn for that. There's also a special tool for 2G touches you have to use, I forgot what it was.

Edit: I noticed you said your phone was unlocked. I'm not certain, but there may be something special you have to do so the baseband doesn't lock you out.
  3. Brewstermax

Brewstermax New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    It's all fine. You can update, and I would recommend updating your iPhone to 2.2.1, since that is the whole idea behind updates. You can then rejailbreak and unlock the iPhone on 2.x.x and and you can also jailbreak your iPod with QuickPwn or RedTool. I recommend doing all of the above, as it will bring all of your devices and software up to date.
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Do what Brewstermax told you.
  5. Bouty

Bouty New Member

thanks for the replys...i havent updated 1.1.4 because all was well with what i do with my phone...i use tmobile and have everything i want on my phone so i havent updated and re-unlocked just to avoid the hassle and possibility of something going wrong....so even if i leave my phone(ziphone software) at 1.1.4 and dont update than i can update to itunes 8.0 and everything will be fine as is?....at one time when i was current(several months ago) i though i read that if you update to itunes 8.0 it would not work with the ziphone unlock program...is that incorrect now?

thanks again
  6. dudeitsriley

dudeitsriley Banned

What he said ^ best advice you could give someone in this situation.

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Bouty

Bouty New Member

one more reply brewstermax?
  8. PriteSprite

PriteSprite Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    DONT UPDATE YOUR PHONE TO 2.2.1 !!! You will lose your unlock and perhaps will never be able to do it again. I suggest you update to 2.2. The reason is because 2.2.1 updates the baseband, and an unlock for that hasn't been released.
  9. Bouty

Bouty New Member

cool, thanks...all i really want to know is if itunes 8.0 will mess up my unlocked ziphone 1.1.4
  10. vannmann

vannmann New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    no it wont, you can update itunes. it wont hurt your phone.