Please help - wait for your ipod to connect in recovery mode error - can't fix

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by AV.1985, Oct 16, 2008.

1. AV.1985

AV.1985 New Member

Hi,

I've just managed to update my iPod Touch first gen 8gb to firmware 2.1.

However, every time I try to jailbreak it, I get stuck at "wait for your ipod to connect in recovery mode".

Basically, I am turning it on (is fine), running iTunes (recognised fine). Am then running quickpwn 2.1 and it goes through to the screen I get stuck at. At that point, it turns off and comes back in recover mode.

Onscreen, there's the USB cable with the CD and it says iTunes. It doesn't carry on the jailbreak. When I cancel, I have to recover again via iTunes.

I've googled around and can't get a solid answer for this problem. I've tried running quickpwn in compatibility mode for Windows 2000 to no luck.

Can anyone help me further?

Thanks,

AV
  2. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Connect it in recovery maually.
  3. AV.1985

AV.1985 New Member

Hey again Gitykins, you're really helpful, thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

Could you possibly walk me through what I should do in terms of what buttons to press and when. If I start quickpwn with manual recovery on, it doesn't recognise the iPod at the first step. If I try to do it once it's already tried to do it itself, it hangs and only has the USB cable/CD with itunes on the screen.

Could you walk me through that step please? And are there any other suggestions as I've looked all through the forums and can't get a definitive fix.
  4. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

Unplug the iPod, and turn it off

Hold the home button as you plug it back in.

The connect to iTunes logo should pop up.
  5. AV.1985

AV.1985 New Member

The logo that comes up is the USB cable, with CD and it says iTunes. Is that the right one?

That does come, but quickpwn doesn't continue, just hangs there.

Should I do this before it gets to the "wait for your ipod" screen or after?
  6. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Are you running Windows XP?
  7. AV.1985

AV.1985 New Member

Yes, SP2
  8. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Update to SP3.
    Update any USB drivers if necessary.
    Restart after you update to SP3/drivers.
    Try running QuickPWN again.
    If it still doesn't work, unplug your iPod, uninstall iTunes, Apple Mobile Device Support, Apple Software Update, Bonjour, and any other Apple/iTunes programs. Then, restart. Reinstall iTunes. (All that stuff should be reinstalled along with iTunes) (Also make sure you're running iTunes 8.1)
    If it STILL doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. It's an XP problem. It doesn't like iPods. I had the same problem. After a few days, it worked all of a sudden. Also, after it hangs, try unplugging your iPod and restart your computer, then plug it back in when you log in.
  9. AV.1985

AV.1985 New Member

I'll try that Ex-Touch - only thing is that it's really time consuming trying it over and over as I have to restore after each try!

I'd also rather not go to XP SP3, went to SP2 at a stretch from SP1!

Could it be worth trying it in, say, my laptop? Not sure what version of XP is on that though.

Can I thus presume that there's no solid fix for this and if it doesn't work, there's not much I can do about it? Would it be worth me downgrading to an earlier firmware that's easily JB'able? If so, how and which one?

Or would you think there's likely to be an upgrade to quickpwn 2.1 anytime soon?

Thanks.
  10. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Well, for you first question, if your laptop is not your main computer, then I would say upgrade it to SP3 and update it completely.

For you second questions, technically is there is no fix for this problem. It's something in XP's USB driver's that's not allowing QuickPWN to access the iPod for some reason - even compatibility mode doesn't work. If you would like to downgrade, I would say you could, but like I said you might be better off waiting a few days, or maybe even shutting off your computer for a day or more, and possibly restarting it more often to get rid of useless temporary files. And, if you can, download CCleaner or some other disk cleaner to also remove temporary files as this may cause a problem.

And, for your last question, as I am not the iPhone Dev Team, I do not know the outcome of this.

Ex-Touch