Please Help! Restore Error 6 + Sync Problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aaron1006, Jul 25, 2009.

1. aaron1006

aaron1006 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So my iPod worked fine until about a week ago after I had a serious computer crash and was forced to restore everything to default on my pc. So since I would have to resync my iPod to pc I figured it would be a good opportunity to update to 3.0. So I tried restoring over 10 times in different USB ports and everything and I continually get error 6 at the end of the restore and it leaves my iPod in restore mode. I've tried everything I could possibly find. I've done DFU restores, updated drivers, updated to vista sp2, etc. So eventually I decided I would just restore my iPod on my moms pc and it worked fine. All of my music is on my pc though, so i synced my iPod to it and at the end of syncing I get a new error that the disk can not be read or written to. Somehow some of my music made it onto my iPod though after several attempted and failed syncs and I went to listen to it and every song is like mixed up and choppy, so today I tried another iPod restore and I am getting the same error 6 again. If anyone knows what the problem could be pleaseeee help I have searched all over these forums, apples site, google, just about everywhere to no avail. I am almost positive it is something computer related and not the iPod's fault
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try Re-installing iTunes, that might fix the problem.
  3. aaron1006

aaron1006 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I've tried this over 5 times no luck lol
    Edit: new problem, I updated to vista sp2 because of advice i received and it still didn't work so i got the brilliant (or not so brilliant) idea that uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers on sp2 might make it work, so i uninstalled and now my iPod isn't recognized in DFU or restore mode, but it is still recognized when it is running normally. It still shows up and works on my moms pc, but i want to fix this problem, not avoid it.
  4. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I believe error 6 is when you have the wrong firmware file. (not 100% sure, so don't quote me)
    What is the name of the .ipsw you are using?
  5. aaron1006

aaron1006 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Trust me its not the ipsw, I have 3.0, 2.2.1, 2.1.1 all stock so thats not the problem, it is definetly something with my computer, most likely involving drivers, well definitely involving drivers now that i f'ed them up lol. It won't let me choose the driver that i know is for my iPod either

Edit: finally got the driver stuff configured correctly, but after trying to sync again I was getting the same error, but after restarting my pc all my music made it to the ipod. This happened before but last time the music was playing like it was on an old fashioned cd player skipping so much, but this time I am not experiencing this, although the album art work is extremely jumbled and weird looking, I still don't think it is fixed.

Edit 2: I have hit some more choppy songs, gonna try resyncing

Edit 3: got it completely fixed, after installing vista service pack 2, reinstalling the drivers which by the way on vista are in program files->common files->apple->mobile device support. Then after reinstalling the drivers i deleted all the files that did make it on to my ipod that were all messed up off of it, then resynced and it worked. Just thought i would post this in case someone else ever has this problem and finds this in search