Please Help: MacBook and Promotion Questions

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by Rayzilla, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello fellow Apple fans,

Let me start off by saying that I am not a techie so I would appreciate any help or advice on this decision.

Brief background: I have a 3G iPod Touch. My wife likes the games in it over those in her BB, so now she would like one too. My eyes light up because that means it gives me the 'green light' to look for a Mac laptop which I have been wanting to try out.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Any time you get this kind of clearance from your significant other to spend on gadgets, you have to move fast before she changes her mind.

Plus our daughters will probably be forced to use Mac laptops at their school in a couple of years so it might be good idea for us to get used to their system.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my questions:

1) Is this promotion (buy a Mac and get a 2G 8g Touch free) worth it? Or is there another better time of the year to buy a laptop where the discounts are even better than this? Then I would just buy a used Touch for my wife.

2) So if I do go for it, I have the option of the MacBook Pro or the MacBook Air. Is the difference mainly just the size and weight? I would probably lean towards the basic of each model.

3) I am living in Hong Kong now but I will be traveling back to Toronto for business at the end of September. I can either order it here or I have friends and family in Toronto that can order it for me there. Is it the same computer in either case? I would much prefer the English version if there is a difference since I can't read any Chinese. Where should I buy from?

If there is anything else that you need to know to help me out, please let me know.

Much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Raymond
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

1) This is the best time to pick a Mac up.
    2) The Macbook Air is lighter, thinner, boot time and launching applications is faster, less storage, no DVD drive. It's faster because it uses an SSD which is faster than a regular hard drive.
    3) They will probably be the same computer, except for the language (which you will be able to change). Use a currency converter to check the price, as well. Import charges may be a bit less so it may be cheaper in Canada. I recommend getting it in Canada.
  3. iTam

iTam Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    I would go with the pro. It may be bigger but the specs are better. plust there is the DVD superdrive. They are lightning fast with the preinstalled snow leopard. Like ChrisL said, I would get it in canada.

Best of Luck
  4. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Apple does not ever have discounts besides on black Friday usually like 100 bucks off I think. Plus you have to buy the iPod and you will be sent a rebate for the price of the iPod.
  5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Black Friday is only in the US and his options are either Canada or Hong Kong

6. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks for the advice so far.

I am leaning towards the 13" over the 15" to keep the cost down and since it is lighter and more portable.

Conclusion if my math is correct works out to be cheaper in HK by 29% given my situation. Please let me know what you think

- HK price HK$8,288 (no taxes in HK and free shipping)
    - Cdn price $1,411.37 ($1,249 plus sales taxes of $162.37)
    - Exchange Rate 7.37217762 but Visa will probably charge extra so let's say 7.6 to be conservative (since I will be using my Visa which is a HK card).

In HK HK$8,288
    In Cda HK$10,726 ($1,411.37 x 7.6)
    Difference of HK$2,438 or 29% (2438/8288)

Here is where I got the numbers from (links to the HK and Canadian website. I hope this is not against the rules):

Hong Kong
    http://store.apple.com/hk_edu_13377/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTM3NTMwNzU

Canadian
    http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/ho...ook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NACA-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO

Thanks.
  7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Actually, yea, I guess it makes sense that it'll be cheaper in Hong Kong since they probably get their stuff directly from factories in China. I don't know why I didn't think of that before

8. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey ChrisL, thanks for your advice. I think the HST accounts for about half of the difference. And now there is no rebate of the tax for visitors too. CRA cancelled that a few years ago.

I am confused. I want to keep it at the 13" because the 15" is quite a bit more expensive. Will I regret it? Will the 13" screen be too small?
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

No problem

Well, I have a 13" Macbook and I find it's big enough. I just browse the web, do homework, listen to music etc. So if you're just going to use it for casual stuff, 13" will be fine. But another difference is that the 15" has a faster processor and a better graphics card. So if you're planning to do stuff that may require a faster processor or better graphics, then you may need to consider the 15". So it just depends on what you plan on doing on your Macbook Pro.
  10. Rayzilla

Rayzilla New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Uh-oh. I am not sure if this Touch promotion is only in North America or is it international. I am trying to find info on it on the HK website but I haven't found it yet. I just assumed. I'll keep looking.

Sorry I found it. It was sitting there right in front of my eyes. LOL.

New uh-oh. I guess when they say "higher education", they mean high school at least? My older daughter is only 9 years old. Do I have any chance?

Even worse, it appears to be university.