Please help, looking for new earphones

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by bthaxor, May 23, 2009.

1. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hey all, i'm looking for some new earphones and considering there are some really big audiophiles here *chungster*, your help would be greatly appreciated...

i got my ipod touch 1g as soon as it came out in australia (end of 2007), and my default ipod earphones amazingly lasted for about a year. then i got myself a pair of sennheiser cx500's, and i'm not sure if they were fake or not (got them off ebay, however i really think they weren't - looked perfect), but they broke in less than two months. admittedly my earphones do go through some wear and tear, but i think this is a bit too short for earphone life... anyway since then i've been using my ipod for games and my sony ericsson w980 for music (awarded numerous sound quality awards and it truly is phenomenal, especially with manual equaliser and the amazing earphones that come in the box), but i'd like to buy a new pair of earphones since right now my cs500's are mono and my ipod earphones are all but dead (literally broken and mono as well)...

so, based on the looking-for-earphone template, here goes!

Type:
    IEM (in-ear earphones)

Budget:
    $100-300 AUD (Australian Dollars), probably no more than $200-250 US?

Musical preference:
    this bit may be slightly tricky, since i listen to a wide range of music genres. it's worth noting, though, that i'm madly obsessed with linkin park, so good bass is a must, and since their songs are heavy i'd like to be able to hear the vocals well too. i mainly listen to rock, pop, alternative, hip-hop/rap and dance/electronic music (i know, large range...). i don't have many REALLY heavy songs like heavy metal, although linkin park can get quite intense sometimes..

but as i said, good bass is a must, i'd like vocals to not get overwhelmed. i'm not an audiophile so i'm not sure i can use the terms from the sound glossary correctly...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Headphones preference:
    i really don't care what brand it is, as long as it fits within my budget and will last me a while. good looking earphones would be nice, though...

hopefully a trustworthy brand, with a good warranty... AND BEFORE I FORGET, IMPORTANT: it'd be very very nice if this brand were available in retail stores in australia... i'm very hesitant to buy over ebay after numerous fake/broken technological purchases...

Any other details:
    i'm only 15, so i can't afford to keep dishing out for earphones every two months... so i'd like them to last for quite a while. i read the 'keeping your earphones alive' thread, but it didn't really suit my situation. i'm a school student, so my earphones stay in my pocket with my ipod, and undergo quite a lot of strain from sitting down etc. would putting them in a box or something help? i don't know if i could be bothered doing this every time i want to put them away though...

thanks so much if you can help!
  2. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I'm not sure how much these are worth over there (Since it's not in the Australian Apple Store

) but have a look at the Sennheiser IE6, IE7 and IE8. Due to your problem with them breaking, I think that the IE cable will be very good for you.

But I think IE6 is in your budget. It's kevlar reinforced and I've had my IE8s for 3 months now and it's fairing really well. There is no sign of damage whatsoever which is brilliant

Then there is hardly no cable noise. Sound wise, I would assume it has the same sound signature as the IE8 since apparently they use the same drivers but tuned slightly differently.
  3. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks for the quick reply,

wooooooah the cheapest price for the ie8's was $378...

i researched the ie7's and ie6's afterwards and their prices got smaller as their numbers did... ie7 went for $250-ish, ie6 went for roughly $200. would there be a big difference, or large enough to justify the price, anyway?

i think the ie8's are out of the question... and i know sennheiser are good earphones, although i experienced hissing at the S'es in my music, and the bass sometimes fell a bit flat...

so would the ie6's be a worthwhile buy?

ON A SIDE NOTE: ultimate ears recently came out in australia after being acquired by logitech - any worthwhile earphones of theirs within my budget? i heard they are very good earphones but their price is a bit on the high side...
  4. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You could always go for the IE7 if you want to justify it. I feel that once you have past into the higher end of headphones, you pay much more for slight differences. It might not be worth it for some people's ears. The IE range have a 2 year warranty by the way. The IE6 will probably do every genre well, like most Sennheisers. Ultimate ears are regarded as good in the audiophile community, shame I haven't heard of any of their models. Apparently because they were bought by Logitech, the custom service has gone crap. They will be good, but I have no experience with any of them.
  5. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thanks for your help again,

i think that if it's just a slight difference i'll probably go for the ie6's, because i'll end up shooting myself if i buy the ie7's and something happens to them...

i've got to log off now, but my attention was brought to this website: http://www.headphones.com.au

they deal direct to australia, with australian prices, and they're a trustworthy site...

from the brands you see here, can you tell me if any others sub-300 are worth looking at?

sennheiser:
    http://www.headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1&brand=Sennheiser

ultimate ears:
    http://www.headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1&brand=Ultimate Ears

etymotic:
    http://www.headphones.com.au/pbrowse?catID=1&brand=Etymotic

thanks a lot for your input.
  6. thechungster

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wow, Etymotic seem expensive there. People say Etymotic's lack bass, so I'm pretty sure that wouldn't suit you. If I had the money, I personally would buy the IE7 since I would always have the feeling of "Damn, what are the higher ones like" etc... But that's only me. I'm pretty sure IE7 have 2 extra different styled tips (Dual flanged, single and foam) whilst IE6 have only single flanged silicon I think.
  7. Shounen

Shounen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  8. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    @chungster

yeah, i know what you mean... like before i was comparing the cx300's to the cx500's and got the latter one for the higher number - although the price wasn't much larger and numerous reviews said the 500's are worth the extra money...

@Shounen

so what do you think of them? how do they sound, and would they be suitable for the kinds of music i listen to?

i'm on my ipod right now, but i'm ready to do some price comparisons later...