Please help. Is the audio quality excellent?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by umich fan, Jan 30, 2008.

1. umich fan

umich fan New Member

I recently purchased the 8GB touch (still factory sealed) but now am having second thoughts whether I should keep it or return it. My biggest concern is audio quality. I don't care about video playback as I don't see myself playing videos on the touch. Anyway, I've read opinions given by various Apple ipod touch owners and the general consensus seems that the audio quality is on the disappointment end, that it's not on a a par with the classic nano (FWIW, I own the 2nd gen 8gb nano and am happy with the audio quality; I've only used Apple's OEM earbuds). I also hear there is a trace of a hiss noise in the background, can anyone corroborate this? What about battery life? If I'm strictly playing music, will the battery life last pretty long? Lastly, is it Windows friendly? Do I always need to connect through itunes for windows to recognize the touch? And so here is my quandry: keep my 2nd gen 8gb nano or sell it and keep the ipod touch or return the ipod touch. What would you do?

On a side note, would you say it's worth upgrading the software?

Thanks
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The Battery will last long if you are just listening to music.
    Yes it is windows friendly.
    No you don't need to have iTunes open to have your computer to recognize the iPod Touch, But the iPod Touch doesn't have disk mode. In other words you need iTunes to do anything with it

Please Register or Log in to view images

It will charge without iTunes open.
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't hear any hiss from my iPod. Granted, I am not using Apple's headphones (Bose Tri-Ports, I love them!). Are you sure that it isn't coming from the songs themselves?

Also, the 1.1.2 update improved the sound quality, so I'd give upgrading a shot.
  4. umich fan

umich fan New Member

Thanks. Good to know battery life is decent (haven't been disappointed with my 2nd gen nano ipod's battery life). Regarding the hiss noise, I suppose it's plausible noise could be coming from the songs; but from what I've read online on the pcworld.com site, it seems to be of a different case. (Link: blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/005428.html). The Bose headphones triport headphones is definitely nice, but it's a little steep in price for me. As far as upgrading the software to 1.1.2, was it a very noticeable change? Bottom line is, like with any other electronic devices I've purchased (camera, camcorder), I'm going through buyer's remorse at the moment, not so sure if I made the "right" choice. I'm one of those consumers that can easily be swayed by someone's opinion on a product like the ipod touch. Worst case scenario, if it fails to meet my standard, I can easily sell it on Ebay and still make a decent profit.
  5. a33a

a33a New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well it seems the hiss noise is from Apple's OEM Earbuds, I have tried it in a stereo system and it does have a slight hiss compared to £1 / $0.50 earbuds. But the iPods are designed to stop this hiss. I haven't experienced any hiss when listening to music on my iPod Touch (hardly ever do I listen to music

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
    1.1.2 Upgrading only really adds minor bugfixes and support for adding events to calendar. I recommend you downgrade to 1.1.1 , jailbreak using jailbreakme.com , download and install BSD subsystem and OktoPrep. Upgrade to 1.1.2, use the Conceited software jailbreak. ; and enjoy your new iPod
  6. Dejavo

Dejavo New Member

It's not excellent. Not bad but not anything special in my opinion. Liked the sound on my G4 much better.
  7. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

It's not audiophile quality, but it is quite respectable, especially if you've got a good set of cans or canalphones. (Apple's included buds, as always, suck.) The signal-to-noise ratio is excellent -- no background hiss whatsoever. (I can't find hard specs on that, but my guess is 85-90dB, which would put it on par with past generations). Overall frequency response is quite average, doing the usual 20-to-20 range, which is still very respectable. On the whole I don't think you'll find a lot to gripe about with the Touch. The sound is decent, the UI responsive and intuitive and overall feature set is excellent. They still need a real freakin' EQ though. That's my biggest gripe about all iPods.
  8. kappatango

kappatango New Member

I havent noticed any hiss, but again, I use Sony Fontopia ear buds, which are fantastic.....
  9. N-joi

N-joi New Member

Nope not a peep of a hiss - I'm using Shure SE420 earphones
  10. GregMac1213

GregMac1213 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I can't hear a bit of hiss through my PX100s or Grado SR 80s. And I think sound quality overall is excellent. No complaints here at all.