iOS 3.1 please help... blackra1n is stuck at "entering recovery..."

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Vetruvet, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Vetruvet

Vetruvet New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just upgraded iTunes to 9.0.1.8 (Windows Vista x64) and upgraded my 2G iPod Touch to 3.1.2. I previously had jailbroken 3.0.

All of my music, videos, non-jb apps come up and work just fine. Now when I run blackra1n, it just stops at "entering recovery...". The iPod has the connect-to-iTunes screen (so far for about 10 minutes), and isn't doing anything. iTunes is open and recognizes the device as being in recovery mode. I tried running blackra1n again, and now it just says "waiting for phone..." and with no effect on the iPod. As a note, the blackra1n picture never came up on my iPod.

I tried restoring and not letting iTunes restore my settings/music/videos, etc, but had the same effect. I restored again and exited iTunes (and killed all of its helper processes), but that didn't help either. I restored yet again and let iTunes restore everything and then quit iTunes, but had the same problem. Now I went back to the first option (don't restore settings/music/videos, etc, with iTunes running) and let blackra1n sit there for a while, and nothing happened.

I downloaded blackra1n from blackra1n.com, moved it to C:\. Went into properties, clicked the "Unblock" button, and set the program to run in compatibility mode with XP. Then ran blackra1n as Administrator. iTunes has not given any errors (other than the "recovery mode" warning).

Why is blackra1n not succeeding, and (more importantly) what should I do to successfully jailbreak? Thanks in advance for anyone's help!
  2. Justforasec

Justforasec Banned

Are you positive that you have USB 2.0? How old is your computer? Sorry if you already stated it, I just briefly read over the post.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Vetruvet

Vetruvet New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes I have USB 2.0. The computer isn't even half a year old.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    OK... I tried something else: I unplugged ALL other USB devices from my laptop and tried a different USB port. Same thing happened...
  4. Deadhead

Deadhead New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    what does USB 2.0 have anything to do with it? I'm running a 9 year old computer, USB 1.0 with no problems.

now this is experimental, as I havent read anything about it.... turn off the UAC and see if that helps (run>msconfig>tools>disable UAC>Launch>restart. It has conflicted with our program where I work.
  5. Vetruvet

Vetruvet New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, I already had UAC turned off... And I realize that USB 1/2 shouldn't make a difference in the outcome, it (the restore) will just take longer on USB 1
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What's your devices serial number (check under Settings -> General -> About].. is it MB, MC or PC? Only the MB can be jailbroken atm. If you are on an MB then keep on trying... blackra1n can be fiddly, especially on Vista.

edit/ just read again and noticed you were on 3.0 so you must have an MB.... also try looking in the iPt2G forum as there's a couple of tutorials in there.
  7. Vetruvet

Vetruvet New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Actually, I'm at work now, but when I get home, I will try this:
    Turn off WiFi and disable anti-virus (even though it didn't seem to interfere), and run blackra1n again.

If that doesn't work, I will try this on another computer I have, which is running XP (32-bit).

Afterward, I will report on my success or (hopefully not) failure...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    well, it was a vista issue (big surprise!!)... worked the first time around on XP, in a matter of seconds. Just one more reason to give Vista the boot!!

Definitely the easiest jailbreak ever (especially comparing to the very first tethered ipod touch 2g 2.2.1 jailbreak).

Now I have not had any issues so far, and everything is working great... w00t!
    waiting for iTunes to reinstall everything...
  8. Norké

Norké New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Turn it on!

I think your problem is that you need to turn your ipod on

Please Register or Log in to view images

do this by holding down the sleep button until you see the apple